IGNORED

Smog Air Pump

Careless

Will be attempting to put together the pump today. I managed to tap the hole for M6x1.0 thread. They seem pointy, so it looks like a good fit.  Also got an M6x1.0 Set Screw. Going to either high-temp RTV the hole or JB epoxy it in there. Not sure yet. I do have to sand down the back of the plug because I want it to be flush on the front side.

I will take some photos of what I can and what I am swapping to and from the two pumps. I'm going to go to my friend's shop right now to see what I can do to get it all good and nice and ready for plated parts to go back on.

I don't know what kind of access you have to the hole from the other side, but if you're really anal about having the outside flush, you might be able to run the setscrew outward from the inside. In other words, use the allen wrench from the INSIDE of the pump instead of from the outside. If that works, you could run the screw in until it's recessed a little on the inside and then file the outside completely flush. Inside would have the hex recess, but it's on the inside where you'd never see it.

Don't know if you've got the access to do that in there, or if you even care that much.

As for sealing, it seems like a pretty non-critical thread seal. If it leaks a tiny bit, I bet you'd never know or care. Only thing I might consider would be minimum thickness requirements of the sealing compound. One of the anaerobic thread locking compounds might be a better solution. But anything including RTV or epoxy on a threaded plug is going to be way better than the gaping hole you used to have!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread. I managed to successfully get the plug in. I shortened it so it was barely protruding from the front side, and it's ground flat on the back side. I made sure it was smooth to the touch on the inside and level with the rest of the surface it was on, and then i backed it out just a smidge just to be safe. better to have it recessed on that bearing surface than protruding. The vane drum rotates on that area where the hole was drilled.

I used some bearing retaining adhesive that set up really quick. seems like it will do the job and can be removed if needed.

the outside isn't flush. the allen key would have gone through the plug at that point, or a hole would have been made through the plug by grinding it down so much. I did as much as I felt was neccessary.

I am waiting on one or two more things before I put it back together. Will post pics when I do.

Edited by Careless