IGNORED

Rear Panel Surrounding Tail And Reverse Lights

zdude1967

A few questions about a 260z rear panel.

How do you remove it without destroying it, how do you put it back afterwards

Do they sell replacements, if so where

Is there anyway to repair broken or missing pieces of the panel- I guess it is plastic

Any help would be appreciated

It's the same as the 280 rear panel. It also sounds like you're talking about the surrounds. 

I bought a set of 280Z tail lights to refurbish and use on my 260Z. It wasn't too difficult to take them apart. After you remove all of the screws, it helps to soak the tail lights in very warm water to make the sealant pliable. Then I could remove the lens from the assembly.

If you are referring to the INTERIOR panel, again, it is the same as on a 280Z. It is available new from Black Dragon Auto among other places. It is held in place by rivets with a center push-pin. To get replacement rivets, you can buy them from MSA, Black Dragon, etc., or you can buy a suitable substitute designed for Fords and described here: http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49590-removing-panel-retainers-240z/.

It is actually the exterior. I took it off and it seems to come in two halves and includes the taillight trim assembly- you know the chrome tail light trim ring bit. Anyway- where do I find new ones- or a suitable replacement for the passenger side. This is held in by pushpins?

The exterior panel is held by a row of plastic "rivits" along the top. To release then you push the small center pin through the rivit. Pick it up later when the panels are off. They are not the best design. See link for detail rivit http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08a03h/40-3961

http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/60598-how-do-i-remove-those-plastic-rivets.html

The rest of the surround is actually held in place by the tail lights themselves. You need to remove the taillights with the panel. To do that you need to remove the inner panel to get access to all the nuts. 10mm spanner and 1/4" drive socket set. You will also need to remove the number plate light and center panel. I take it you have done this or they have been damaged by PO trying to remove them without doing this.

The chrome bezels are available through a member on this site, but I can't remember his name. They are expensive, but the quality is good from what I read. Try searching for rechroming.

The outer surrounds are NLA through nissan. If you are very lucky to find a dealer with old stock or you have to hunt them down and find the best you can get.

Chas

Edit: Found threadhttp://www.classiczcars.com/topic/44336-rechromed-taillight-trim-and-misc-plastic-parts/

Edited by EuroDat

Here are a couple of pictures of a 76-280.  If you car is a late model 260 they should be the same.

On the back of the first picture you can see the stude that hold it to the inside of the car.

post-12974-0-91192500-1428530782_thumb.jpost-12974-0-32772200-1428530804_thumb.j

Edited by mgood

Is there a special tool or a trick to remove and install the plastic rivets? Got my car back from the body shop yesterday but the rear plastic panel isn't attached, guess they gave up on it, though they did the other work well. Can't blame them, I also failed with the damn rivets previously, to the point of getting mad and destroying them with a wire cutter. Bought some from MSA, don't really know what to do with them though.

If you remove the plastic center pin from the rivit, or pull it out far enough so you can push the four ears together you can push the rivit through the hole in the trim/body. Then you insert the pin and that should spread the ears and lock it in place.

Seems like there's 6 on the top and 2 smaller ones behind the tag, for the metal finisher.  The interior plastic tail light cover has about 6 too, if I remember right.  

The metal pieces have to slide into each other at the middle (tag holder) then they have clips under the tail lights you have to line up and push in to.  It can be a pain to do without scratching something, be patient with that new paint.  :)

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F