IGNORED

Removing Panel Retainers: 240Z

metalmonkey47

Is there any 'easy' way to do this? I'm trying to remove all of my interior trim to run new speaker wires, but the damn panel retainers are so small and tight I can't get any to pop out.

My interior is perfect and crack free and I want it to remain that way. I also have no broken or missing panel retainers. I also like that.

By "pins" he means in the center of the retainers. They might not be that visible, but if you get a thin nail and push it into the center of the retainers, the pin should push through. Then you can pull the fasteners out. And you will probably be able to find most, if not all of the pins once you remove the interior panels.

Thanks guys! I feel absolutely stupid for not noticing that, I popped them all out and couldn't manage to recover any of the pins, so I'm just going to order a big mess of them. Also didn't have as much speaker wire as I though, so I used some of my large gauge primary wire. Fail on my part, I need to stock up on audio wire.

An easy way to get the pins out from their dark recesses is to put a handkerchief over the nozzle of your shop vac. Leave some room and secure with a wire tie. Turn on vac, collect said pins, turn off when you can drop the pins into your hand. Been there, done that, works every time.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
An easy way to get the pins out from their dark recesses is to put a handkerchief over the nozzle of your shop vac. Leave some room and secure with a wire tie. Turn on vac' date=' collect said pins, turn off when you can drop the pins into your hand. Been there, done that, works every time.

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

How come I never thought of that?

Great tip, thanks!

Dean