IGNORED

Suspension Redo!

Champion of the driveway racers! When you take it out, do some hard nose down braking......The front end will settle in. The harder you drive it through the hard left and right turns, the more she'll settle down. Take a big friend with you.......it'll help getting her down. BTW.....nice installation.....bet you could do it in your sleep now.

It was fairly easy, but looking back I wish I would have taken the time to powercoat everything and do the spindle pins.  They just looked really good, no rust, no stuck bolts.  The whole thing went together rather easily if I am honest, of course it did not hurt that I have taken half of it off several times before with diff swaps and bearing jobs.

Champion of the driveway racers! When you take it out, do some hard nose down braking......The front end will settle in. The harder you drive it through the hard left and right turns, the more she'll settle down. Take a big friend with you.......it'll help getting her down. BTW.....nice installation.....bet you could do it in your sleep now.

Well what really helped is I upgraded my OSHA white safety socks to the new padded wool OSHA grey socks.  Much better padding and comfort.

Yes.....The thick cotton padding will save your big toe in case you drop the diff on it!!!  Gotta get some myself ......the flip flops aren't much help!    :angry:

OMG... thanks for bringing that up. The ABSOLUTE worst pain I have ever felt in my life was dropping a complete suspension strut with attached brakes on my FROZEN Big toe!! Changing springs on my Rally car. Outside. January. Snowing. Couldn't even scream it hurt so much!!! Rolled around in snow like a decapitated worm for what seemed an eternity. 

That memory is still etched in my mind.....from 40 years ago!! scream.gif

Well let that be a lesson to ya!

And on a related note, over in the boondoggle thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/51367-project-boondoggle-or-so-i-went-and-bought-a-z/

The new owner found a pair of OSHA safety gray socks in the glove compartment. The previous owner must have kept them in there as part of his side of the road emergency tool kit for just such occasions.  :D

so took the car out to get an inspection today.  Will go at lunch or something.  But took my first corners in anger to see how the suspension loads up.

The Z has never been this good. The steering response is immediate.  The body roll that I had with the worn tired struts is gone. The car feels like it can take corners 20mph faster. What an amazing setup.  I cannot see any reason to every buy a different combination of sprint/strut.  I am stunned at how good the car changes direction and how poised it is on turn in, and mid-corner throttle applications.  Wow!

• Like 1