IGNORED

'72 240Z Rebuild

siteunseen

Nice pictures.  I can see the factory hone marks in the cylinders but also the classic rust line of an engine that's been sitting (my old one has that).

I see that you have a chain tensioner block installed.  Like you haven't decided yet how far to tear it down.

Love the idea of the rubber pipe cap over the transmission output. Do you know what size it is?

It's a 2" for sure.  It's tight though, I didn't even have the clamp tightened.

Nice pictures.  I can see the factory hone marks in the cylinders but also the classic rust line of an engine that's been sitting (my old one has that).

I see that you have a chain tensioner block installed.  Like you haven't decided yet how far to tear it down.

I'm getting practice on removing heads the right way.

It's going to be completely torn out and down maybe today.  Thanks for the info on that rusty color on the walls, I did not know that was the reason.  It sat for 6 years.  :(

I decided to drop the transmission onto a motorcycle jack I've used before for holding it to roll around while I pressure washed it.

Many moons ago I would pull and reinstall those trannys with no mechanical advantage. Just bench press style laying on the ground with the car on jack stands. If I tried that now I would be crushed like a bug.

I think the transmissions have increased substantially in mass over the years. Maybe absorbed stray extra neutrons from the microwave or something?

• Like 1

Many moons ago I would pull and reinstall those trannys with no mechanical advantage. Just bench press style laying on the ground with the car on jack stands. If I tried that now I would be crushed like a bug.

I think the transmissions have increased substantially in mass over the years. Maybe absorbed stray extra neutrons from the microwave or something?

I know that I've absorbed some stray neutrons into my cerebellum, fear and pleasure responses are backwards now.  What used to make me happy scares the $^!# out of me.  :(

Did you have a leak of some sort between 3rd and 4th cylinders on the side of the block? I can't really make out whats going on there but it looks different from the rest of the block.

Wow, you should really consider filling those cracks site...

HaHa!  That was a dirt dauber's mansion under my exhaust manifold.

I'm hoping to get about 2" of concrete poured over the entire garage when I get my foundation firmed up.  Just started that project too, 20 ton bottle jack and some screw jacks and a lot of digging.  I do better when I have multiple projects going on at the same time.

All done with the removal part.

Now that the cam sprocket is off, TDC lines up with the right mark on the pulley and the oil pump spindle is at 11:25.  The sprocket was off a link or so after all.  I scratched around the valves seats and they look brass so I'm assuming they're bronze.  It had a Nissan clutch that was worn down pretty bad too.  I can't decide if this motor's been worked on or not.  The head gasket was covered with copper looking paint, what does that mean? 

post-23570-0-19571200-1424048185_thumb.j

post-23570-0-93521000-1424048202_thumb.j

post-23570-0-58221200-1424048216_thumb.j

Getting my Dad's cherry picker tomorrow to pull the block out. I can't believe I wouldn't wait and get them both together. Stupid mistake I'll never repeat.

No problem Cliff.......just put a section of chain on your hoist.......put a head bolt and washer through the chain on number 1 driver side and number 6 passenger side. The chain will rise up to the washers and stop......lift her out.

permcopspraygask__34069_zoom.jpg

Would Nissan have used a similar product at assembly?  The sprocket being out of time with the crank gear has me thinking it's been off before (the head) but they didn't update the valve seats and it was set to #1 hole so I'm not sure.

Getting my Dad's cherry picker tomorrow to pull the block out. I can't believe I wouldn't wait and get them both together. Stupid mistake I'll never repeat.

No problem Cliff.......just put a section of chain on your hoist.......put a head bolt and washer through the chain on number 1 driver side and number 6 passenger side. The chain will rise up to the washers and stop......lift her out.

That's what I did. :)   I used the hood latch housing to hold the rear of the motor up until the hoist was holding the weight of the block.