IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Just now, wheee! said:

You need a spare stock engine for inspection time LOL

Have considered that as well. But I can remember when swapping an engine over a weekend sounded like, and was, fun. I don't know that I would want to do that every other year for the rest of my life now. They gave me a hard time with the polished valve cover so.....

17 minutes ago, wheee! said:

You need a spare stock engine for inspection time LOL

It's somewhat counter intuitive, but it's actually easier here to get smogged with a swapped engine than with a modified one.  With a swap, you go to the referee, get approved, and get a sticker.  Whenever I get around to the engine work, I'll probably go with an L28ET, even though I prefer the idea of a hotter-than-stock L28.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

I've always been curious about the CA inspection... With a car this old, how do they verify the visual inspection? Is there a reference picture in an old greasy notebook somewhere they compare to or what?

Most of the emissions stations out here know what to look for, for the most part. They always look for correct engine numbers, egr is functioning, no broken vacuum lines, catalytic converter has the right codes stamped into it, etc, etc. I want a higher horse power engine and a programmable fuel system but, I would fail visual for sure. You can't convince "them" that it would be a "cleaner" running system either. They only see that it's been "modified". If any CA  280Z owners have been able to mod their engines and get away with it I'm all ears.

Sorry wheee! Didn't mean to jack your thread. Wasn't my intention.  I think we should start another thread regarding the "emissions" scandal. 

Mocking up another patch piece. I know a lot of purists would rather see full panel replacements but parts are hard to get in Canada. Basically with exchange, shipping, duty and taxes the parts that cost $100 in the states are well over $200 when they arrive here a month later.... and I have a long list of parts that are going to be ordered that can't be fabbed so I have to "cut corners" (LOL) where I can!
IMG_4099.thumb.JPG.dfab1b290b0f5ad8dbc1f

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I've always been curious about the CA inspection... With a car this old, how do they verify the visual inspection? Is there a reference picture in an old greasy notebook somewhere they compare to or what?

I think they just have an old guy sitting around nearby and when an old car pulls up they say "Hey Charlie, come look at this".  That's what they do at the parts counter at Nissan anyway, No? 

Hi Mark,
Its ben a while since I checked in on your project. Nice stuff you are gatherong, looking goods as always. Keep the photos coming.
Chas

Thanks Chas! Looking forward to each step as I go...
How's the engine management system coming? .... I haven't forgotten about that either LOL