IGNORED

Just Did The Kia Hatch Seal

rossiz

I just wrapped up my Kia hatch seal install and documented it in my build thread.  Check out the link below.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49581-hardways-1971-240z-8011-build-and-repair-thread/page-4

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.  Definitely a great alternative to buying reproduction seals!

NewSeal01.jpg

NewSeal02.jpg

NewSeal04.jpg

• Like 1

Darn. I was trying to order one, and I saw a message saying that they will not be doing any business from 2/16 - 2/22

Wow. $39 for the one door seal, plus 25 days to deliver. and then the computer thinks I live in

AFGHANISTAN.

I think I will order domestically.

I find that quite reasonable, but then Im use to buying a stuff like of fuse covers for $12 and then $59 for shipping.

Im still waiting for the pigeon to get here. 18 days and still counting.

Chas

PS: Just received email with tracking number. The seals are on their way to soul airport☺

I ordered on the 5th and got it today. I was trying the Black Dragon seal and didn't like the fit.

Which shipping method did you use? Seems very fast compared to mine. I used standard air, but Im not in any hurry. Can't drive the car till the end of the month anyway. "Dutch law"

It will be interesting to hear how they compare with the ones from black dragon.

chas

Yes, the small air mail had a lesser cost than the others, but, from the page I viewed when ordering:

5 days to process

20 (about) days for delivery

7 days delay because of the Korean holiday

I can tolerate a month because the doors and hatch are on the last order of things to finish, compared to re-installing the front&back windows, but the body man doesn't want to waste time waiting on my car.  I still need to order the aluminum gas cap (which is supposedly on back order.)

• 3 months later...

Hardway-

If you use that Kia seal, do you still need the smaller outer seal?

Are you talking about the thin rubber strips that go on the line metal above the weather strip?  If so I do not know.  My car never had it since I owned it and I never drive in the rain (or at least not on purpose).  On fully restored cars it is present but I think other owners have questioned if it really offers the function it was designed to.  Maybe others can chime in.  

FYI: You can also use a Mazda MPV van hatch seal. It's super long, and is pretty much the same as the kia one, and grips the hatch pinch-weld very tightly.

I like to press the seal flat with the palms of my hands before installing to the car, and it is pretty damn good at staying one. Just don't try to get "extra grip" by squeezing the steel channel in a vice or something. It will deform the steel grip channel and cause it to be bumpy in some areas.

xdcSiUO.png