IGNORED

Just Did The Honda Blower Motor Swap

rossiz

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm guessing the early 240's used a metal cage?

Yes, early Z's have metal squirrel cage.  I just assumed that  @72ZDave was doing the Honda swap on an early car because,  well why else would you go to the trouble of swapping?  And of course the 72 in his online nameLOL

@Namerow, John, do you remember what thread it was where both you and I had our blowers out of the car for restoration and we were doing some testing?  It was at least two years ago,  I can't remember if we came out with any conclusive numbers, just thought there might be some useful info there.

Yes, early Z's have metal squirrel cage.  I just assumed that  [mention=14124]72ZDave[/mention] was doing the Honda swap on an early car because,  well why else would you go to the trouble of swapping?  And of course the 72 in his online nameLOL
[mention=20221]Namerow[/mention], John, do you remember what thread it was where both you and I had our blowers out of the car for restoration and we were doing some testing?  It was at least two years ago,  I can't remember if we came out with any conclusive numbers, just thought there might be some useful info there.

Your assumptions are correct. Thanks to all for the input!

I wonder when they changed over to plastic impellers. I wouldn't consider a 72 to be an "early" 240.

Makes me wonder what year the plastic blower assy I have came from. I know it's a 240 style assembly, so it has to be 73 or earlier. Maybe they changed over in 73? Or maybe someone in the past years had replaced the (original metal?) impeller with a newer (plastic?) one.

In any event, it's just a curiosity. The 240 blower assy I have is just sitting on the parts stack.

38 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I wonder when they changed over to plastic impellers. I wouldn't consider a 72 to be an "early" 240.

Makes me wonder what year the plastic blower assy I have came from. I know it's a 240 style assembly, so it has to be 73 or earlier. Maybe they changed over in 73? Or maybe someone in the past years had replaced the (original metal?) impeller with a newer (plastic?) one.

In any event, it's just a curiosity. The 240 blower assy I have is just sitting on the parts stack.

Hmmmm, Given my lack of experience with 260's I've  always assumed the plastic impellers were a 280 thing.  Could if have happened when the metal Engine Fan was replaced with the white plastic one?

From what I've seen, the 260 is plastic and is the same as the 280.

I have no idea about the history of the 240 blower I have. That plastic impeller on it may or may not be the original one as I have no insight into the history of the blower. But the motor itself (which still has a 240 part number on it) is definitely from a 240.

Sounds like I have the valuable rare late model 240 blower assy with the lighter plastic impeller? An alternative to changing over to the Honda blower to get away from the heavy air robbing metal impeller?  LOL.

Open to offers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

From what I've seen, the 260 is plastic and is the same as the 280.

I have no idea about the history of the 240 blower I have. That plastic impeller on it may or may not be the original one as I have no insight into the history of the blower. But the motor itself (which still has a 240 part number on it) is definitely from a 240.

Sounds like I have the valuable rare late model 240 blower assy with the lighter plastic impeller? An alternative to changing over to the Honda blower to get away from the heavy air robbing metal impeller?  LOL.

Open to offers!

I don't either, and, not that it helps you, it was sitting on my back porch for (I don't even want to count how many years) until a recent code enforcement visit...

I looked at the one I was supposed to give you, and it is plastic, however, when you keep the fan blade still and sweep your finger across the fan blades, they sound metallic. I double checked, but the fan blades are non-magnetic.

• 2 months later...