IGNORED

Any Idea What Might Have Caused This?

FastWoman

Maybe...

It's so frustrating, though. I wouldn't have misrepresented the condition of MY car to get someone else to embark on a 1000 mi journey to see it! My faith in mankind has reached newer lows. I was polite, but.... geeeeesh!

Everyone thinks their car is better than what it really is...LOL

I'd be glad to check out anything locally to me, Since I have had experience with what to look for. There is also companies that will go check out a car for you for like 99$ . They might not be experienced with Datsuns, but they should be able to give you a non partisan evaluation.

FastWoman, I hear ya loud and clear!! However, from my experience, if you're only 0 for 2, your journey has just begun!

I trolled casually for a Z car for at least two years before I finally caught one. Short story is that I was slowly working on rebuilding one but was always keeping my eyes open for one for sale that was less (or different kind of) work than what I already had. I must have looked at forty cars before I finally found one that truly WAS worth stepping away from what I was already working on. And even then, it wasn't that it didn't need work, it just needed a different KIND of work.

Became almost a joke... See an ad. Looks promising. Get in touch with the owner and ask him a bunch of specific questions like "Do the floors have any holes in them?" and get favorable answers like "No, the floors look great." Go to see the car and the floors has holes in them. WTF??? "Yeah, but they're small holes. Easy to fix...."

I would get home from an unsuccessful excursion and my response become"Goose Chase!!" Because that's what it seemed like. Every car I went to see was a wild goose chase. "Hey, how was that car you went to see?" And I would proclaim "Goose Chase!!"

So I don't know what the deal is, but my experience paralleled yours exactly. it seems like the people selling Datsun Z cars are collectively the most misrepresenting group of used car sellers I've ever come across. Ever. I don't know it it's optimism, denial, or desperation, but I've never run across a wider chasm of "difference of opinion" than I did when looking to buy a Z car.

All that said, if there's anything I can do from the Philadelphia area, let me know.

Ah, gee....

On this goose chase thing....  If it takes looking at 40 cars before I find that nugget of gold, I think it's not worth it.  Part of this is a psychological thing:  I really can't stand people lying to me.  It takes something out of me, and that is a cost more significant than my time and gasoline.  I mean this isn't a matter of differences of opinion.  It's almost like my asking whether it's a 5-speed stick, getting a "yes" answer, and then finding out it's an automatic.  Then when I see the car and mention that it's an automatic, the owner says, well, yes, it is.  WTF?!  I simply wouldn't do that to someone else, and it truly hurts me that they would do it to me, especially when it means my spending a weekend driving across 2 states to see the damned car!

I feel as though I'm back to the drawing board.  If I were to stumble across a good 280ZX, I'd buy it, and that would be the solution.  Failing that, perhaps I'm best off just sticking with what I've got.  I need to do a couple of rust repairs, and then it will be a very nice car.  (It's already a very nice car.)

Ah well...

There is a very clean,red, 82k miles one in the Roanoke area, not too far from you I think.

Unfortunately its a automatic. I know you want the 5 speed.  On craigslist & ebay - $6750 with no bids.

Just shows there are some promising ones out there.

00k0k_gw37RDOJCkh_600x450.jpg

Sorry to hear your trip ended with no car as a result. I don't think I would have been so polite.

I spent 2 1/2 years casually looking as far as Germany and one in the north of France.

Captains post sounds very firmiliar.

Goodluck searching and try to be patiant;)

Chas

Goose Chase!!! Just kidding of course and I do hope you find the right vehicle.

Have you come up with any other alternatives other than a 280ZX or a 300ZX? I've highlighted some of my perceived issues with the 300ZX prior, but one thing I can tell you is that it would probably be easier to find a 300 in much better shape than a 280. Just beware of the ricermobiles. Walk away from anything with painted interior parts, fiberglass aftermarket body kits, or anything that mentions "neon" in any context. :)

But surely there must be some other sporty T-top cars that are of interest?

Well, I've since looked at a 1st gen and 2nd gen 300 under the hood.  The 2nd gen looks very difficult to service.  The 1st gen doesn't look too bad.   I'm still thinking on it.  I might look into that Mercedes recommendation a bit more.  Dunno...

Heck, I might even revisit the idea of a T-top Vette, although it really isn't my style.

Still thinking...

If you're looking at mid '90s Mercedes watch out for problems with the wiring harness, especially under the hood. Apparently a lot of Mercedes models used biodegradable insulation on the wiring harness and there have been many issues. Just Google "Mercedes biodegradable wiring harness insulation".

Good luck with your search.

Mike

I had a 1994 300ZX which is what I believe you are calling the second generation. So if you mean the 90-96 variety, then you saw what I was talking about with the engine compartment. It's packed. And mine wasn't even a TT (Twin Turbo).

Sure is pretty though. Here's the short period where I had both of them at the same time:

garage-8-2012.jpg

I know it's just a Civic with a different body on it, but how about a Del Sol? I walked past one in a parking lot this afternoon and I gotta imagine that driving around on a beautiful sunny fall day with the targa top out might jussssst be enough to make you forget that you're driving a Civic? Maybe?

Wow, Mercedes did that on purpose?!  Brilliant!  (I could mean that either literally or sarcastically.  I'm not sure which.)

The Del Sol is cute.

Hey, I'm now wondering about a C4 Corvette -- not the Hot Wheels style from the 70's, but the more dignified style from the 80's.  It's got a targa top (available also in glass/acrylic) and resin body panels.  I'm assuming it has space frame construction.  It's smaller than I thought -- not much larger than a 280Z -- shorter than the 280ZX.  It's not a bad looking car.  I get a bit wobbly-kneed seeing how the clam-shell hood flips up to reveal all the innards -- a bit reminiscent of the E-type.  It looks as though I could throw a blanket atop a wheel, have a seat in the engine compartment, and work comfortably on the motor.  I don't know much else about it yet, but my curiosity is definitely piqued.  Has anyone driven one of these things?

Hmmm.... Well I feel like I'm the wet blanket with all your ideas, but I've spent some seat time in many of the corvette generations including the C4 and I'm not sold on the idea. In fact, I spent a couple hours driving a '94 C4 and then jumped right from there into the seat of my '94 300ZX and it was like night and day. The cars were both ten years old at the time and both cars had been stored indoors, babied by their owners, and had similar mileage, but the difference in how they aged was astounding.

Here's my most basic impression of the Corvette... It's a GM car.

The ten year old Vette was creaky, squeaky, and rattly. The dashboard shook up and down over bumps. The ride was jarring and a little squirrely. Felt like the rear end just couldn't figure out where it wanted to be, especially when accelerating. Almost like the differential was shifting back and forth from one side to the other even while in a straight line. Interior colors had started to fade and craze cracking had started to appear at the stress points. Steering wheel had started to get mushy.

You know... Like any other GM car.

My 300ZX on the other hand, drove like your typical ten year old Japanese import. Fit and finish was still excellent. Interior was excellent. Ride had gone a little soft because the suspension was used, but it was predictable. It felt absolutely fantastic compared to Vette. No squeaks or rattles. It didn't feel NEW, but it felt RIGHT.

So my bottom line is that while the Vette looks great and feels great when new, in the end it's just another GM vehicle with all the same crap that happens to any other GM vehicle. Interior foams turn to goo. interior panels squeak, suspension feels a little unpredictable, and the only reason it ever goes fast is because it's got a huge engine.

Take a good look at your Saturn. Has it started to fade yet?

And lastly if it isn't already bad. I've heard from some close friends who are Corvette owners that the Vette community is catty and snobbish. There is more competition than camaraderie and the people just aren't "nice". You know... Like we are.  :)

Boy do I feel like doggy downer... :(