IGNORED

What Is This Pipe I Broke? (L28E)

Threehz

Looks like the pipe for the Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Valve.

Tough to find a used one that is not already broken.

I'm sure it could be welded.

Many people delete it, as the parts parts can be expensive, a bolt in the threaded hole of the exhaust manifold & a block off plate where the EGR valve is.

Keep checking ebay. I bought one (new) and no problems with it. I just looked and don't see any yet but I would check periodically.

If it's not required for AZ I would do what is mentioned above. The only thing with that is if you move anywhere that has strict smog laws like CA you will run into problems.

i originally made a plate out of some 1/4" aluminum and just bolted it on & plugged the odd tubes going to it - then wound up completely restoring the manifold so while i was at it i cut off the extension and plugged it all up permanently.

the exhaust gas recirculation system essentially allows unburnt fuel in the exhaust to pass from the exhaust manifold back into the intake for improved emissions. the egr valve is vacuum controlled, and when working correctly the recirculation occurs in a controlled manner that should not affect performance one way or the other. removal of the system, while allowing a little more unburnt fuel to pass out the tailpipe, doesn't add performance - it just cleans up the manifold area and eliminates a couple more potential vacuum and exhaust leak areas (my main reason for removal).

As Patcon said, you can easily make a new pipe. The end that goes into the exhaust manifold has a compression bead to seal it. The other end, as shown in your photo, has a flare. Both easy to deal with. Replacing the pipe is likely easier than eleminating the EGR system, but elemination of the EGR is fine if you do not need to have periodic inspections.