IGNORED

Farewell To My Z

emccallum

Thanks, guys!

Captain, I'm very much like you:  I HAVE to tinker.  That's most of the fun.  I mean it actually gave me joy the other day to tweak my CTS circuit potentiometer to richen the fuel a touch for the winter.  I also have an inline 6 fetish that I can't explain.  It's all the better with the flat tappet valve train.  Oooooh, baby!  I agree that when I look at the engine compartment of a 300ZX, it looks like no fun at all.  The only reason I'd consider a turbo is that it received quite a lot of attention and might eventually have more collectible value.  But I agree... The engine looks ridiculous.

I looked at some old targa Porsches and had a great laugh.  SCARY expensive!  No thanks.

Mike, I might be more at home in a 280ZX turbo.  It's just that I really hate 1980's styling.  The exterior of the car looks decent enough (not as sexy as the S30), but the interior wreaks of 80's in a somewhat bad way, especially if it's not in black.  However, it might actually be my best option.  And yes, the turbo because that was the reason people had to have the ZX back in the day.

Carl, I admit that Mercedes is a snazzy looking car!  The engine compartment reminds me a bit of the Z3 I once owned.  Nice engine... sort of fun, but lacking any interest to a tinkery person like me.  Rather expensive on parts and quite overengineered.  GREAT to drive, though!  Regarding the Mercedes, you're right... not all that expensive.  It's definitely worth considering, although I really like some real framing over my head, even if it's just a bar down the middle.

Hmmmm....  I might scratch my head more about an S130.  There are certainly a lot of them around!

Or I might decide I love my Z so much I can't part with it.  [sigh]

Captain, I'm very much like you:  I HAVE to tinker.  That's most of the fun.

I know. That's exactly why I'm trying to scare you off the 300.  :)

Did they make the Prelude or Integra with a T-top? I know they made a Fiero T-top... That'll satisfy your need to tinker. You'll hate lots of other stuff about it, but you'll love the T-top!

If you want details on the Fiero or more info on the 300ZX, shoot me a PM. I think we've derailed the OP post completely by now!

Sarah, if you do go the S130 turbo route, make certain it is an 82 or 83 model with the analog dash & manual climate control.

It is not a trivial job to convert the digital dash & automatic climate controls in the GL models back.

On the plus side, you get power steering, power windows, rear disc brakes, cruise, etc.

I vote you keep your beloved 78z.

james