IGNORED

How To Get Out Of Used Car Deal (Suspected Freud)

AMelbye

It is very expensive for someone to launch a law suit from outside the country. It would be more than the $10,000 cost of the car for the seller. No worries. I doubt the seller is even in Norway as it seems to be a scammer.

btw what car can they sell in Norway that you can't buy in North America?

I agree, without a signed contract by both parties, the worst that will happen is you're out the $500 deposit and get bad feedback on ebay.  Even with a signed contract, plenty of opportunities to not purchase the car without legal recourse from the seller.  And, in OP's case, contact would have to be in both English and Norwegian with the translation certified to be true.  So, OP can safely not purchase the car at the point.

If you really want the car, perhaps another member local to the car could go and check it out and make sure it is as represented before you send any money and see what is going on with the seller.

Doug has got this right.  I do contracts for a living.  Without a signed contract, the owner has absolutely no recourse against you.  Even if you had a signed contract, it would cost him a lot of money to sue you and enforce the contract. Probaly more than the car is worth.  Just treat the $500 as a valuable lesson learned. 

You should post pictures of the car and this person's EBay name so others can stay away from this joker.

Next time you find a car that you think you want, send a post to the community here and see if there is a member that lives close by.who would be willing to check out the car for you and possibly help close the deal.  I have had members here go look at a car for me.  I also have checked out a car for another member.  He ended up buying the car and was thrilled with it.

Don't get discouraged.  There are still plenty of good 240Z's out there for sale by reputable owners.

Good luck with the next deal.

Marty

• Like 1

I agree with what the others have said. You could ask an attorney but I would think an international civil lawsuit would cost several times what the car is worth. If you have any more issue with this seller, tell him you are going to contact the dealer licensing agency in California, I don't know what it is called in that state. If he doesn't back off, contact that licensing agency. Tell them of your issue and that the seller was tapering with the paper work. State licensing agencies don't take kindly to dealers who behave this way. I know what would happen to this seller in South Carolina. If he is not a licensed dealer and selling that many cars that same agency will be interested in that also.

Hope you get him to go away, but it is an expensive lesson, I would be more than willing to inspect a car for you or help you with shipping. As would many members here on the forum,

Charles

Hi, sorry about being silent for 2 days now, when it was over I needed a break from it all.

You wouldn't believe the shitstorm I got when I made it completely clear that this deal was off. I've never had anything like it.

Post the guy's name.  If he has sold 100's of cars and owned 100's of Z's then he should be known to this community.  Nothing wrong with vetting a person who's asking you for thousands of dollars.  And, here in the States anyway, expressing an opinion about how someone does business is not a crime.  

As long as that is true, I have nothing to lose. The ebay ad is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-240Z-240-z-JDM-Classic-Low-Mile-Collector-AC-EXCELLENT-TRADE-/161461691197?viewitem&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AMOTORS%3A1123&forcerRptr=true&item=161461691197&nma=true&si=BNXnr8jembkF7rv5g%252F2QEJoJ2ro%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You'll find his name by the phone number in the item description, or PM me and I'll gladly let you know. Googling his phone number will also find some other listings of this car and some others.

Please do not post his name or user name in this thread; do spread the word, but not in this thread. If he were to google his own name or user name, I don't want this thread in his search results.

Like you said: This guy has most likely sold to someone on this forum before, and might even be a registered member. Judging his ebay feedback, it looks like this guy is honest most of the time, at least with the deals he does through eBay the proper way. I'm not 100% sure if he was trying to pull a scam on me, or if he did these very alarming moves by mere stupidity. Just keep this in mind.

Blue: When I do get back to looking for another Z I will let you know. Right now I need a break, I'm exhausted.

Again thank you all so much for your help! This forum is definitely the best car-related forum I have come across. The amount and quality of your responses is simply astonishing, every time!

Always a stressful situation when a deal goes bad. But you will start feeling better as soon as you realize the disappointment is over and not just beginning.

Not to cry sour grapes, but the pictures of the bottom of the car did not show enough detail to judge its condition. I also was not impressed with the engine bay photos.

We wil never know if the first buyer found deficiencies or was a creep himself. The seller may have been trying to screw ebay out of a commission or screw you. But his reaction to your inquiries didn't bode well.

Better luck next time.

The eBay guy "harmony01" has been discussed before.  He seems like just a sales-type who pushes hard to sell his cars. He does have good comments in his feedback, but the problems with the paper-work make you wonder if he's not very honest or maybe incompetent.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50163-1969-hls30-00182-on-ebay/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/harmony01/m.html?item=161438375051&forcerrptr=true&hash=item25967a1c8b&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562