IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

30 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Impressive work Chris ! 
A friend down the street owns a repair shop and had two of those motors sitting on stands . I keep drooling at those ITB’s and thinking .....

Thanks,  have you ever heard one of these engines that has been tweaked a bit? It's a glorious sound, sounds like a day at the track.

28 minutes ago, ConVerTT said:

Looks great.  Not happy to hear about the Silvermine kit - I was just looking at it a few nights back ...

Well, his prices are better than TTT and Arizona Z car for a comparable package and I'm not saying it's a bad kit it just drives me crazy that I spent $3500 cnd and I still have to work the bugs out.  So order a couple of 45 degree elbows from Wilwood for the front calipers and take a file to the parking brake inserts before you climb under the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up needing 3 separate water temp sensors, one for the ECU in the stock position, one for the Speedhut water temp gauge and another one for the electric radiator fan controller.  So I had to get creative finding a spot for them,  made the plugs for the sensors with some 80 grit paper, crude but it works and won't be visible anyway.

I got the air box funnel back from Ben, some day when I grow up I want to weld just like him.?  Worked out the location for the oil cooler and try as I might I could not have the drive by wire throttle removed from the ECU.  If I had gone with a stand alone system I could have used a steel cable, so I'm stuck with it.  Everyone says it has a very good feel to it, I hope so.

IMG_0585.JPGIMG_0587.JPGIMG_0589.JPGIMG_0613.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0648.JPGIMG_0625.JPGIMG_0649.JPGIMG_0651.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got the car back down on the ground after 4 months!

Over the yrs I have built various DIY wheel alignment jigs for Toe, bumpsteer and camber measurements, some were better than

others but none of them were very accurate, so I found this kit, https://www.amazon.com/Tenhulzen-3300-2-Wheel-Alignment-System/dp/B00PKI0YSU

For the home mechanic it's quite good and easy to use, the written instructions are adequate but the videos are precise and nice and short.  After using it a couple of times it becomes second nature.

Now Z's can only be adjusted for toe but with so many after market suspension setups available now this is a good way to set up your own car or daily drivers.  I pushed my lower control arms out for more camber and added caster adjustments to the TC rods.

IMG_0690.JPGIMG_0686.JPGIMG_0685.JPGIMG_0687.JPGIMG_0689.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Should be an easy item to ship over to me... emoji38.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll talk for sure.

It just occurred to me that I did all of the alignment with the car missing the front fenders, sugar scoops, hood, bumper and spoiler.   I'll run through them all again when she's fully assembled, I guess the numbers may change but the differences between them should be the same?

I pressure tested the fuel system this morning and everything appeared dry and tight but then the fuel regulator started a very slow drip coming through the copper solder? So the new one has to come from Germany, that will take at least 2 weeks so in the mean time I'll get the fenders and hood back on.

The engine bay is pretty much done, this the cleanest it will ever be.

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well the fuel pressure regulator might as well be coming from the moon, it is being held hostage in a USPS warehouse in Niagara Falls while my border pick up service sorts out their Covid staffing so I did a temporary soldering job on the old one and seems to be holding for now.

Yesterday I got that installed, jumped in and turned the key and bloody thing started up!  Could not believe it, there is always 4-5 issues to be sorted out first, I sent a big Thank You to Kassel Performance for doing such a nice reprograming job on the ECU.

At least it is idling well, haven't  taken it out for a run yet as I buggard one of the oil cooler lines up and have to make another one before starting it again.  On the video of the second start up there is a high pitched whining tied to the revs that I'm not sure about, I'll have to post the vid to the E46 M3 forums and ask the guys if that sound is normal for an S54 engine. Then I can start doing some testing on the VVT vanos system to make sure I have the proper pressure.

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

https://youtu.be/NuPlLEZ4KWw

I'm trying to embed the video but haven't figured it out yet, I'll keep on it.

It seems to be a new bug @Mike 

I found that if you save (submit reply) the post then go back in using EDIT, it will auto format when the link is re-pasted.

but I notice that your video is set to private so it may need a parameter change.

Edited by 240260280
  • Thanks 1