IGNORED

Stumble at WOT + Starting Issues

rossiz

The car has been running really well, but just recently I've been having a strange hesitation at WOT above 4K where it kinda feels like a rev limiter is cutting in.

Turns out I was having a fuel starvation issue due to a pre-pump filter that was packed with crud. It was flowing enough to run at moderate throttle, but couldn't supply enough for peak demand. My tank isn't horrible, but clearly there's some rust in there - I swapped out the big one up front, and installed the pre-pump filter when I first got the car. I replace this little guy every couple of months (clearly not frequently enough!)

I was also began having starting issues - both times the car was on a severe incline (nose up) with less than 1/4 tank and i couldn't get it to fire, then pulled the oil pressure sender with the key on to run the fuel pump and primed the rail a bit, then it started. Not sure if the nose-up attitude affected the fuel pick-up? I don't quite know the configuration inside the tank...

The culprit

post-30163-14150830281072_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150830280424_thumb.jpg

If I had that problem I'd probably go for a much bigger filter, either make a furnace system work or fit something from the diesel world. I've seen that there was an option for a water separator pre-filter n some early gas engine Datsuns also.

GENERAL AIRE Boiler Oil Filter-1A25A at The Home Depot

720 Diesel Work Truck update - Page 2 - 720 - Ratsun Forums - Page 2

Actually, if you need a bigger filter, these things are great:

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-18-7932-Marine-Separator/dp/B001F0GQQ6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1411878034&sr=8-9&keywords=marine+fuel+water+separator

Any water fraction and/or crud falls to the bottom of the filter, where you can drain it off via the little valve at the bottom. The filter is built like an oil filter, except that it flows all the way through and has threads at each end. It's a quality product, and it's indispensable for boats that live in the water. Tip: Grease the o-rings slightly, and don't over-tighten them. I once had to cut apart the can to get it to separate from the clear bottom. No fun.