IGNORED

280z Fusible Link Upgrade

S30Driver

Completed my installation of a fuse block to replace the ageing fusible links.

Used the same Mini ANL block that Mike W used in his 260, except purchased the 4 fused output block. One 80A ANL for the alternator feed back, and three 50A for the other circuits were the fuses I used.

This model has 2 inputs so I will eventually run another cable from the unused port to a inexpensive 2 output small fuse block without the digital bling for the FI links.

The display has 4 led's for the fuse status, and the system volts / current. The display cycles between volts & amps about every 10 seconds and shuts itself off in 90 seconds if there is no circuit activity. A good thing, I was worried it would stay lit up all the time & was getting ready to put a small toggle switch on the ground wire for the display to kill it. Worked out well.

Fairly accurate, shows my battery to be 12.9 volts when the car is off. Shows my parking / dash lights are 3 to 4 amps when on.

post-21075-14150829845266_thumb.jpg

post-21075-14150829845827_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

IMO, replacing the fusible  links with fuses is a very dangerous thing.   Who started all the fusible link- fuse equivalence stuff??

The fusible links are protecting some very important things that draw a lot of current, like the headlamps and the fuel injection system, and  you will have instantaneous trouble if the fuses melted.  Fusible links are like circuit breakers, so you would want to use those in stead. You can get circuit breakers that plug into fuse  clips.

Edited by TomoHawk

As I understand it, the function is pretty much the same in a fusible link as it is in a Maxi Fuse. Current draw above the rated size of the link or the fuse causes the wire or fuse to melt and opens the circuit. Why would it act any different?

This article explains it fairly well...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb1.pdf

Maxi Fuses are just more robust fuses, but still  aren't the same as fusible links.  Without re-engineering the wiring for fuses, you invite unpredictable results.

I don't disagree in theory, however, I am of the opinion that fusible links inherently invite more risk of failure than a Maxi Fuse. Fusible links are merely wire of a gauge 4x smaller than the rated current of the device it is protecting. In case of an overcurrent, the wire melts withing the heavy duty sheilding and protects the circuit. A Maxi Fuse does the same thing, only in a fuse style and in a design for high current draw circuits. If Maxi's had been available at the time, Datsun would probably have used them instead. At that time, fusible links were the traditional method of securing high amperage circuits for which fuses were not rated. 

IMHO Maxi Fuses are an elegant solution to an older technology. Maxi's provide a quick visual reference to the condition of the circuit as well. Fusible links are visually harder to identify as serviceable...

They still use fusible link in modern cars.  My 1997 has all three kinds, regular blades, cartridges, and fusible links.  I would rather use the cartridge than a Maxi fuse,  They were designed to be more robust than regular fuses, like the fusible link.

It's true that  you'll need to diligently maintain the electrical system so fusible links can perform as they did when the car was new, but it easier than replacing the entire electrical system.

Edited by TomoHawk

I have had a hard time finding a fuse block that will work with the cartridges. I agree they are more similar to the fusible links.

As I am doing the whole car anyways, one of my plans was to clean up the engine bay. Pallnet fuel rail, hidden injector wires, rerouted fuel lines, carbon canister, brake booster and vacuum lines etc. Adding the Maxi Fuses as a way to eliminate the fusible link connection is a real easy step and I will move them to the firewall along with the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.