IGNORED

Fuel injector replacements

Blue_streak

I recently bought a set of 6 remanufactured FJ3 fuel injectors for my 76 280z. My only question is do i have to buy the o-ring kit and holders and if so are they specific to this injector or do i buy the one that is listed for 280z. Ive been doing some searching and seem to be coming up on blank. thanks

Be certain to only use fuel injector hose clamps for the connection to the rail. They are solid as opposed to the cheap gear clamps with the slots. The injector clamps won't cut into the fuel line when tightened.

Hopefully they came with your rebuilt injectors.

Another point about the clamps. The original Nissan clamps are stainless steel and excellent quality. If you replace them I would try to get original nissan clamps? The ones from MSA and alike are also good and will do the job fine. See the first link in my post #2.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by EuroDat

My only question is do i have to buy the o-ring kit and holders and if so are they specific to this injector or do i buy the one that is listed for 280z.

The injector body shape is a common shape but the insulators and gaskets (o-rings) are specific to the 280Z and ZX intake manifold and mounting hardware. So you do need 280Z rubber pieces. You can get them at your local auto parts store also, even Rockauto if you have time and want to save some money. The most important one is the small one that fits the injector tip. It seals the injector to the manifold.

Nobody mentioned the hose on your fuel rail. 76 has the multipiece fuel rail, with pieces of hose connecting the parts. Replace those hoses with high pressure fuel injector hose while it's off. The hose can look okay on the outside but it will crack inside, lengthwise and leak. Even better, if you can, replace it with a 1978 fuel rail. those are one piece, all metal.

AND. You might consider new electrical connectors for the injectors. Shown in Eurodat's MSA link or you can get junk yard parts from a variety of Volvo, BMW or 90's GM cars. Yours are probably cracked and breaking if not already broken.

Awesome info thanks guys! I have the new connectors just ordered the orings should be in tommorow. Unfortunately Nissan is showing no stock in Canada for the bolts so I'm gonna have to do some looking. Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by Blue_streak

Check your insulators for cracks. I don't think a crack would cause a leak, as it's the job of the O-ring to seal, but even so, it's nice not to have cracked parts. I think you have your answer for the O-rings, but I'll just confirm that I used OEM O-rings for my FJ3 injectors.

This might help you out on the injector screws.

Go to any big industrial nut and bolt place and ask for .....

Stainless Steel M5 x 30mm metric socket head cap screws & the stainless M5 lock washers (12 needed)

A long 4mm allen wrench is nice to have for them too.

I just purchased some and they were $5.15 for the 12 stainless allen screws and a whopping 45 cents for the 12 lock washers. I don't know what nissan charges but it might be higher.....

post-21075-14150829352144_thumb.jpg

Last time I messed with that I bought stainless socket head cap screws and modified them to include captive lock washers. Was not a fun project and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I went through that trouble because it was on my 300ZX and the screws go in almost vertical. The washers are almost guaranteed to fall off the screws if they aren't captive.

So question is...

Anyone have a source for SHCS like that which have captive lock washers so you don't run the risk of dropping washers down into the bowels of the intake/exhaust manifolds by accident? Stainless would be preferred, but a good chromate coat would be good enough.