IGNORED

Mr.Uemura wrote a book "making story of a Fairlady-Z"

kats

Hi, I want to see the English ver. book, I will check how big the differences is.

Chris, yes that  #3 is S20 with LHD. They tried every conceivable combination which they came up with.

Mr.Uemura is still regretting that they could not release 4000cc V8(Y40 for Nissan President) S30 . He was assuming positive requests from US customers, but there was no request.

If that happened, what kind of name was applied? Interesting.

Kats

Edited by kats

12 hours ago, Gav240z said:

I'm also curious about this S20 powered LHD S30Z chassis.

Alan are you willing to share photos of this car? Does it still exist?

I don't really want to put the photos on this thread. I'll message you direct.

The car was destroyed. The photos explain how...

Hi Guys - Sorry for the delay in getting back to this Thread. 

As far as I knew - Mr. Motomura sent the entire text and images of the book. Just last week however, he sent an additional 13 images that for some reason were not included in the original file set. He didn’t notice they were missing as we iterated several drafts of the English edition. They are nothing new to anyone - pictures of the S20 & L24 engine, pictures of the Front and Rear suspension, Datsun 240Z engine compartment and Battery Access lid. Rear end crash test on 280ZX 2+2.  I will be adding them to the next Revision - and I’ll put them on line for everyone to see or download and print. I don’t expect that they will significantly impact the page count, nor the actual information content.

I added US Measurements to all the Metric Measures, only because I felt it made reading comprehension better for US readers. (they wouldn’t have to break their train of thought - stop reading and do the mental measurment conversions) So any conversion errors are on me. 

I have to believe that the difference in page count is do to the different format size.The English Edition was printed in 8.5 x 11 format in Black & White because that was the least expensive and still conveyed the technical information.  Mr Umera / Mr. Motomura wanted to make it available & affordable to everyone interested.  

Alan:  The Title evolved from exchanges between Mr. Motomura and myself. Publishers told me that one of the key elements to book sales - was Title Selection. They view it as the most important meta-data - that drives on-line search engines. So “Fairlady Z Development Record” for the Japanese market -  became "DATSUN 240Z Engineering Development” for the US and English Speaking markets.  Yes entirely market driven to reach the most English speaking people,  as that was the goal of publishing it in English.

Secondly - - As several books about the Z car had previously been published in English  - specifying  "Engineering Development" was intended to more clearly indicate that the book was about the “Engineering” aspects as opposed to the “Styling”, “Modeling" and “Marketing” aspects - that were already covered in most other English Language Z Books. The Cover design was for the same reason.

Thanks everyone for buying and help in promoting the book. As Chris said, I think you will find a lot of answers to many questions about what, how and why many of the Design and Production Engineering alternatives and decisions were arrived at.

• Like 2

Received my copy a couple of days ago but haven't had the time to read through it yet... at first glance it looks very informative and an interesting read! Very cool to notice that the test team drove through Edmonton Alberta during winter trials! I would have been 3.... LOL

• 7 months later...
On 2014-07-05 at 5:01 AM, kats said:

NOVEMBER 1967 #11 G8B RHD 230hp Weber rough road Durability test

So.... after seeing and hearing and smelling the 1965 R380-I with triple DCOE 42 & 200HP (actually 45 in Austin).  I am guessing the last test case #11 above had the R380A-II engine with triple DCOE-45 engine to give the  listed 230HP?  

The 160HP base S20 was not produced until 1968 so it would have made sense to try the end-of-line R380A-II engines for F U N ! 

Kats what is your guess?  The "G8B" label looks a lot like "GR8" typo. Do you think they tested the Prince engines in the Z in 1967?

p59-02.jpg

Or A/B680X Engine and Transmission?

wWhaP0HTqMV6AAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 240260280 said:

So.... after seeing and hearing and smelling the 1965 R380-I with triple DCOE 42 & 200HP (actually 45 in Austin).  I am guessing the last test case #11 above had the R380A-II engine with triple DCOE-45 engine to give the  listed 230HP?  

The 160HP base S20 was not produced until 1968 so it would have made sense to try the end-of-line R380A-II engines for F U N ! 

Kats what is your guess?  The "G8B" label looks a lot like "GR8" typo. Do you think they tested the Prince engines in the Z in 1967?

"G8B" was the factory designation for what then became the 'S20'. It wasn't the same engine as the GR8, despite the bloodline. The 'G8B' was somewhat simplified and mass-productionised in comparison to the pure race 'GR8', and the cylinder head casting in particular (along with the cam cover, inlet manifold, distributor/ignition system, cooling system/water pump and cam drive system) was completely different.

I have factory race department dyno testing sheets from 1970 where they are still identifying the 'S20' as the 'G8B', probably through force of habit. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Thanks Alan,

Any ideas on the 230HP detail in item #11.  It seems only the 380A-II engine was pushing this amount in 1967.  Was this some special cam'd or race S20 engine?

I wouldn't place too much store on the 'HP' element in the quote. Uemura san's original book (as opposed to the 'translation' version) uses the term '馬力' ('Bariki') which is an equivalent term for 'Horsepower', whilst the Japanese testing standard was actually 'PS' (the German standard of Pferdestarke) and the numbers are all very much rounded up.

The normally-quoted figures for the different iterations of GR8 race engines on the other hand were usually somewhat rounded down, in order to keep the competition guessing. 

Quite a lot in Uemura san's original (Japanese) book seems to have been edited out of the English language 'translation', or 'tuned' to suit the 'Datsun 240Z' retitling. In any case, I would not take quoted engine power figures in either version at face value and without bearing in mind the wider stories behind them.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, I did not think about it, but yeah, I imagine they wanted to express the word " Maru " ( means a circle ). Just my guess.

Blue, I am not an expert about this. Alan is the best. And here is an interesting material which we would love to see, a S20 prototype.

Prince engineers began to develop S20 in late 1967, this S20 prototype has many things different from standard production version.

Mr. Watanabe who owned this S20 prototype (currently sold to a fanatic) said design of valves and camshafts , combustion chamber etc they are far better than standard S20. And this prototype is even compact to compare with the standard S20. 

And you see the mount, this prototype has a set of Z432 mount. Mr. Watanabe said this engine could be installed in a Z432 and tested.  The mounts came with this engine from the beginning.

I do not know this is the 230PS engine which was tested in a S30.

And a casting code on the block, you see

"70929004" This could be ment "1967 October 9th " or "1967 September 29th" 

What do you think of it ?

I visited Mr.Watanabe's shop last winter, his shop is like a dream land . Lots of S20 and FS5C71A, R192 , and GTRs.

People like to throw away FS5C71A and R192 because of the weakness and hard to maintain due to difficulties of supporting parts. We have FS5C71B and R180 and R200 , they performe better and easier to maintain.

However Mr. Watanabe like old ones. I will ask next time, why ? Maybe they are lighter than later ones? He is still developing a racing GTR for his own, using FS5C71A . His skills and know how are continuously given into customer's car. Wonderful man.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1