IGNORED

Strange whirring noise from engine...

rossiz

not the distributor, can't be the water pump (no belt, it wasn't turning)

i found this exploded view and i'm just scratching my head about what could be making this happen - nothing LOOKS like it would do that.

post-30163-14150828301123_thumb.jpg

Only revved up to 55K.

Popped the clutch a little hard between 1st & 2nd and something felt funny - like something let go... Then I turned off the key and coasted to a stop to read the plugs. When I started her back up the noise was there, and I figured it was the alt.

Have you listened for the noise around the tranny? Maybe a throw out bearing noise?

I admit its a shot in the dark. Sounds like its a process of elimination now so.....

I just listened again and it seems as if it is louder near the firewall.

Edited by rcb280z

Just something to try, push the clutch in while the engine is running in neutral and see if the noise changes. Maybe something with the TO bearing as mentioned or a transmission input shaft bearing.

--Justin

Edited by buysell

i will put her up on jack stands so i can listen from underneath and try working the clutch to see if there's any change.

just out of curiosity - is there anything up top under the valve cover that could be injured and whining?

Hi Geoff, While you're under the car, disconnect the clutch slave cylinder spring & see if you can move the clutch release arm for & aft. I adjust mine so there is about 1/4"-3/8" of movement. This will ensure the release bearing separates from the p-plate. If the r-bearing has been pushing on the p-plate, pushing on the clutch may not change the noise.

My first impression while "listening to the video" was serious valve train noise. Pull the valve cover take a look & a listen. I think you'll find it there. Then I listened for the whirring noise & heard it. I think you'll find it in the valve train but I'm going to listen to it a few more times to take a shot at that one. Give me a call if I can help. Meanwhile, Fawlty Towers, John Cleese screaming at his car. It will make you laugh. Guaranteed