Strange whirring noise from engine... - Page 2 - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Strange whirring noise from engine...

Featured Replies

  • Author

not the distributor, can't be the water pump (no belt, it wasn't turning)

i found this exploded view and i'm just scratching my head about what could be making this happen - nothing LOOKS like it would do that.

post-30163-14150828301123_thumb.jpg

What "event" did you experience on the high rev? Hope you didn't over-rev.

Edited by rcb280z

  • Author

Only revved up to 55K.

Popped the clutch a little hard between 1st & 2nd and something felt funny - like something let go... Then I turned off the key and coasted to a stop to read the plugs. When I started her back up the noise was there, and I figured it was the alt.

Have you listened for the noise around the tranny? Maybe a throw out bearing noise?

I admit its a shot in the dark. Sounds like its a process of elimination now so.....

I just listened again and it seems as if it is louder near the firewall.

Edited by rcb280z

Just something to try, push the clutch in while the engine is running in neutral and see if the noise changes. Maybe something with the TO bearing as mentioned or a transmission input shaft bearing.

--Justin

Edited by buysell

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

i will put her up on jack stands so i can listen from underneath and try working the clutch to see if there's any change.

just out of curiosity - is there anything up top under the valve cover that could be injured and whining?

Just another shot in the dark, could it be a lash pad that has slipped and stuck so the cam hits it?

Edited by mjr45

A cam tower if there is not enough oil pressure supplying the cam with oil, maybe?

That does sound like a lash pad has fallen off, mine has done that after a good romping. Pull the valve cover off and see, they're not hard to re-install. Sounds more "clickity" than whirring.

Edited by siteunseen

Hi Geoff, While you're under the car, disconnect the clutch slave cylinder spring & see if you can move the clutch release arm for & aft. I adjust mine so there is about 1/4"-3/8" of movement. This will ensure the release bearing separates from the p-plate. If the r-bearing has been pushing on the p-plate, pushing on the clutch may not change the noise.

My first impression while "listening to the video" was serious valve train noise. Pull the valve cover take a look & a listen. I think you'll find it there. Then I listened for the whirring noise & heard it. I think you'll find it in the valve train but I'm going to listen to it a few more times to take a shot at that one. Give me a call if I can help. Meanwhile, Fawlty Towers, John Cleese screaming at his car. It will make you laugh. Guaranteed

Throw out bearing or something in the clutch let go. It's hard to nail down noises since they like to travel around these cars. Try the above suggestions regarding the clutch.

Im with Madkaw on this. What I posted, #16. It is worth a listen for sure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.