IGNORED

Fuel Pump Check Valve Alternatives

Captain Obvious

Cap'n, I opted for the check valve with the Audi fuel line, just because it's easier to find the Audi fuel line. I took off my pump yesterday and the stock check valve sorta works, just real sticky so I'll change it out and keep the old valve. When I took off my pump head, the second O ring was so distorted it won't fit back in, its stretched about 1/4" larger than the groove in the pump, and while I didn't have any fuel leaks and it made good pressure I'm sure it wasn't helping. Have to order those O rings today, I read the thread on sizing so its all good. Thanks for your info, it really helps make things easier.

Mike

Edited by mjr45

When I took off my pump head, the second O ring was so distorted it won't fit back in, its stretched about 1/4" larger than the groove in the pump, and while I didn't have any fuel leaks and it made good pressure I'm sure it wasn't helping. Have to order those O rings today, I read the thread on sizing so its all good. Thanks for your info, it really helps make things easier.

Mike

The oversized O-ring is probably made of EPDM. EPDM is used for the brake system, but that material will swell up a lot when it comes in contact with petroleum / mineral oil based products. It kept doing its job until you released it.

Don't like your chances of getting it back in;) Time for a new one.

The right material is Viton or NBR.

Chas

Chas, you're right I ordered 2 new Viton O rings today in 2mmX33.5mm. From what I read(I think is was a reply of yours in the O ring thread) that is the correct size. I actually did get that ring to go back in, but that only after leaving it out overnite in the garage at 20°. Thanks.

Mike

so i'm going crazy trying to locate one of these audi hoses...

i'm not interested in getting a used part - if i'm going to pull my fuel pump apart and replace the check valve, i'm going to use new hose. i've searched and found the part as a fuel rail feeder hose to a 2001 audi s4 (used part seen here: 01 2001 AUDI S4 A4 B5 2.7 - GAS FUEL LINE / HOSE / PIPE 8D0201541AA - WolfAutoParts.Com) but i can't seem to find it new anywhere???

anyone know where i can buy this? if not, i will go to a local shop and have them install the proper fitting on a piece of fuel injection hose (516" right?)

or is there a screw-together fitting, like the an6 fittings that i see on sst braided hoses, that will fit and work for this application?

Cap'n. I ordered the Viton O rings from a place called the O Ring Store or Connection, I looked at McMaster and didn't feel like I needed 50 of them which was the minimum order, in hindsight it would probably have been cheaper to get the bag of 50. I'll go and get the Audi line sometime next week after I get the check valve and put it back together and see what happens, I'll let you know.

Mike

If you're looking for new... Have you tried an Audi dealer? :)

well now cap'n... i guess now your screen name makes sense :laugh:

actually, i tend to avoid dealers in general as my experience has usually been that they:

1) are annoyed/bothered by me being there to waste their time with a goose hunt for a wacky old part (vs. buying a new car)

2) charge 2x the cost of getting it anywhere else (because they'd rather be selling me a new car)

3) smirk/chuckle at my "project" (and recommend that i buy a new car)

yes, my own baggage, i know.

i'm gonna try going town to nebar (industrial hose guys) and see if they'll whip me up a length of hose with the right fitting.

rather give my $$ to those guys.

A backyard check valve solution might be to gut a broken pump with a good valve and place the pump body in-line between the working pump and the filter.

Or take the check valve and find the fittings to fit a hose barb and just insert it in-line. I have an old check valve and pondered using it with my aftermarket FPR that leaks down but the pressure was on the wrong side to use it that way.

Just some options, if you have a pump that works well and is installed. If you insert the valve low in the fuel system, the leaky part of the fuel system should stay full from gravity.

well now cap'n... i guess now your screen name makes sense :laugh:

Well duh. :bulb:

So you want a new part from Audi, but don't want to deal with the hassle or cost. I get it. :laugh:

If your local hydraulic shop succeeds, make sure you take some pics of that. It would add to the knowledge base. Let us know what the hydraulics shop comes up with for costs too.

I looked at McMaster and didn't feel like I needed 50 of them which was the minimum order

Mike, Haha! I've got bags of extras from McMaster. Nitrile though, not Viton. As soon as I get my car back together and can verify that everything works properly, I'm going to offer my extras to the forum. I know you can't wait though. Sorry I didn't move fast enough to cover you.

And one more thing. Any of you guys putting one of those alternative valves on... I'll cut them down to length for you if you want. You can do it with a hacksaw or a file, but it's a fifteen second job on the lathe and it's a nice clean square cut. I'd be happy to chuck them up and slice them for you if you want to cover shipping.

Just don't forget to shorten them somehow before you smash the excess into your pump armature!