IGNORED

Where do these connectors go?

Pir0San

I decided to pull the dash out of my Z to fix some hack job wiring done by the previous owner, and I'm confused as to where a few of the connectors go. I'm working on the part of the harness that drops from the center of the dash down to the fuse box and choke/defroster/seat belt light, and the PO cut some of the wires so things are difficult to figure out. Where do these connectors go?

I suspect that this connector goes to the choke switch. It's wiring is red/blue stripe and black. The red/blue is snipped, and it looks like the rest of the wire is in the harness closest to the connector (as pictured). The choke switch connector is red/blue and red, so this worries me as the colors do not match.

IMG_0051_zps1209c77e.jpg

These connectors look like they go to the defroster switch. The blue wire is snipped, and there is no wire close by that looks like it matches it. I did find a disconnected blue wire further up the harness that looks like it might belong to the snipped end. (I used process of elimination to figure it out, these was the only connectors that had three prongs on both ends, but the wire colors don't match).

IMG_0047_zps252dd9f2.jpg

IMG_0053_zps6ebd2205.jpg

I have no idea what these are, but the connectors look like they go together. The wires are both from the center harness, but from two different branches.

IMG_0050_zps92fb1fb4.jpg

Finally, there's this random connector that nothing matches with. I suspect that it belongs to the antenna manual switch, as the connectors are shaped the same. The pinout is Black - Green - Black. The antenna manual switch pinout is Blue/Red - Blue/White - Blue.

IMG_0052_zps83363cbd.jpg

So...any ideas?

Even if someone suggests a destination for those wires you should check the integrity with a meter. Just to make sure they really go there and that they're not shorted on the way. Meter lead at choke mechanism, meter lead at wire end, lead at defrost mech, at connector, etc. There are wiring diagrams out there on the web. Not the greatest but might get you closer.

Datsun Service Manuals - NICOclub

Z Tech Tips Electrical (AtlanticZ.ca)

Thanks for the reply. I have a few different wiring diagrams (Haynes, Datsun FSM, Chiltons, and the links you provided), but the diagram doesn't show the color pinout of the connector specifically. I wish Nissan would have been consistent and made the wiring match as it jumps from connector to harness.

Maybe I just suck at reading wiring diagrams. :)

A circuit breaker, got mine at NAPA less than $10.00, that replaces the fuse in the circuit being powered up will ensure there will be no over heated wiring issues. They are usually too tall to use the fuse block cover but they are great insurance while you're testing.

Mark in Portland

Thanks for the suggestion on the supplement. I didn't originally even look at it as my car was built in 8/72, but after a quick browse it looks like the connectors are the same. Maybe I can get the dash back into the car today after all.

I decided to pull the dash out of my Z to fix some hack job wiring done by the previous owner, and I'm confused as to where a few of the connectors go. I'm working on the part of the harness that drops from the center of the dash down to the fuse box and choke/defroster/seat belt light, and the PO cut some of the wires so things are difficult to figure out. Where do these connectors go?

I suspect that this connector goes to the choke switch. It's wiring is red/blue stripe and black. The red/blue is snipped, and it looks like the rest of the wire is in the harness closest to the connector (as pictured). The choke switch connector is red/blue and red, so this worries me as the colors do not match.

IMG_0051_zps1209c77e.jpg

The colors of the wires on the choke switch do not matter. It's the colors of the wires from the body harness that matter. Keep in mind that the connector for the map light should also be red/blue and black.

By the way, you can get some, if not all, of the connectors at OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's through 1970's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha.

These connectors look like they go to the defroster switch. The blue wire is snipped, and there is no wire close by that looks like it matches it. I did find a disconnected blue wire further up the harness that looks like it might belong to the snipped end. (I used process of elimination to figure it out, these was the only connectors that had three prongs on both ends, but the wire colors don't match).

IMG_0047_zps252dd9f2.jpg

IMG_0053_zps6ebd2205.jpg

Which side is coming from the dash harness? I'm guessing it's the right side since it has red/black and black wires. I don't know at this time what the blue wire is, though it is some accessory function.

I have no idea what these are, but the connectors look like they go together. The wires are both from the center harness, but from two different branches.

IMG_0050_zps92fb1fb4.jpg

Finally, there's this random connector that nothing matches with. I suspect that it belongs to the antenna manual switch, as the connectors are shaped the same. The pinout is Black - Green - Black. The antenna manual switch pinout is Blue/Red - Blue/White - Blue.

IMG_0052_zps83363cbd.jpg

So...any ideas?

If the wires both come from the dash harness, they won't connect together. Clean up the wires better and describe the colors.

Edit: Look at BE-4 in the 1973 FSM. A couple of the connectors in the 72 manual on the corresponding page were lacking color descriptions. Those colors are listed in the 73 FSM, at least in my copy.

Edited by SteveJ
Added info

I figured out that the first connector is for the choke switch, and the cut wire matched the red/blue wire that was next to it in the harness. I was able to pull the spade connector from the block connector and solder the wires back together. The second connector is for the rear window defroster switch, and the blue wire matches with the blue wire farther up the harness.

I'm still at a loss as what the other connectors are for. I took some more pictures though:

This is a female two prong connector, and the wiring is green and black/white stripe.

IMG_0058_zps95da5e6d.jpg

IMG_0059_zps6f6741ed.jpg

This is a male two prong connector, and the wiring is green/white stripe and red.

IMG_0056_zps3ca5ac91.jpg

IMG_0057_zpsc04f0842.jpg

The final connector is a female three prong connector, and the wiring is black - green - black.

IMG_0060_zpsc717d32d.jpg

IMG_0060copy_zps8252dd94.jpg

I can't seem to find where these wires appear on the wiring diagram or on the supplement guide. They don't appear to go to the rear speakers either. I was thinking that maybe one of the two prong connectors were for the dome light, but the colors don't match on the light housing, plus the PO snipped the harness in the ceiling.

I put the dash back in the car and hooked up everything but these connectors and all of the accessories work properly. I'm still at a loss for what these connectors might be; possibly ac, heater control light, fog lights, safety interlock, stock radio?

if I recall correctly there is a 3 pin 1/8" connector with a couple blue and a red wire that goes to the antenna switch on the radio and a 2 pin green/black connector that is non-connected for the electric fuel pump that doesn't exist, at least on my 73. Your mileage may vary, of course. I heartily suggest perusing the factory service manual, available online via XenonS30

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2014 at 10:22 PM, Pir0San said:

I figured out that the first connector is for the choke switch, and the cut wire matched the red/blue wire that was next to it in the harness. I was able to pull the spade connector from the block connector and solder the wires back together. The second connector is for the rear window defroster switch, and the blue wire matches with the blue wire farther up the harness.

I'm still at a loss as what the other connectors are for. I took some more pictures though:

This is a female two prong connector, and the wiring is green and black/white stripe.

IMG_0058_zps95da5e6d.jpg

IMG_0059_zps6f6741ed.jpg

This is a male two prong connector, and the wiring is green/white stripe and red.

IMG_0056_zps3ca5ac91.jpg

IMG_0057_zpsc04f0842.jpg

The final connector is a female three prong connector, and the wiring is black - green - black.

IMG_0060_zpsc717d32d.jpg

IMG_0060copy_zps8252dd94.jpg

I can't seem to find where these wires appear on the wiring diagram or on the supplement guide. They don't appear to go to the rear speakers either. I was thinking that maybe one of the two prong connectors were for the dome light, but the colors don't match on the light housing, plus the PO snipped the harness in the ceiling.

Did you ever find out where the black green black goes to? It looks like it's to a relay but unsure which relay.