IGNORED

Potential & Low VIN!!

texasz

The picture of the VIN plate on the dash shows the tag mounted to the dash with screws!! All three of the 240Z's that I've owned had that tag mounted with blind (pop) rivits. I'd be examining the car, and the locations of the other VIN plates VERY carefully. The clincher would be the VIN stamped into the firewall.

I'd want to be very certain that this car hasn't been altered to appear to be something that it may not in fact be.

Call me suspicious (of anything)!!!

Carl (shoulda been born in Missouri:) )

Let's wait and see if he will post a pic of the interior, the console should tell some of the "rest of the story".....

Judging by the looks of the car, it's nearly into "parts only" category with all the pats that are missing and the brushed on primer on the body. Wonder how bad the rust is.....

:ermm:

I'll don the flame proof overalls before I hit the send button!!!

Guy's its a well known fact that the early 240's didn't arrive with complience plates attached.

Over here the dealer gave you the plate for you to screw on if you desired!

So I wouldn't poo poo it just yet.

Looking at the photos it may well just be what it is, a low VIN LHD zed. Worth it just to get the plate.

Originally posted by Zedrally

I'll don the flame proof overalls before I hit the send button!!!

Guy's its a well known fact that the early 240's didn't arrive with complience plates attached.

In the US, I've never seen one that wasn't rivited in place, except when someone was doing a chop job (or front/rear clip). The real telltale will be the VIN stamped into the firewall, not the tags that can be moved with relative ease.

Looking at the photos it may well just be what it is, a low VIN LHD zed. Worth it just to get the plate.

Only for a "plate" collector. If the CHASSIS isn't what it should be, the plate is meaningless.

2ManyZs, the console can be changed in half an hour by you or me, so it won't prove anything. But I doubt the seller would bother, since he was too busy brushing on the primer! LOL

Guys, I've asked Carl Beck to jump in on this one. I just sent him the link to this post and it's got me curious as well.

It's ok to be wary of these things, but, also remember that a dash can be replaced as well. The numbers that matter are probably on the frame.

That's exactly the answer I was expecting!

Is there anyone out there with a 240 with a VIN between 200 & 500 who can verify how the plate was mounted?

If the seller really knew what he was doing, he'd have posted a picture of the VIN stamped into the firewall, instead of the plate that either has, or could have been moved from one dash/car to another.

Seems to me he's looking for a buyer with his "head in the sand". Because he's sure not showing anything that "proves" that what he's got to sell is in fact #212

PS I'm not flaming you, Zedrally. I'm discussing this from my perspective as an eBay buyer who has seen many things offered that were not what they were claimed to be. Even with my "buyer beware" attitude, I've been burned a few times so I question everything that isn't perfectly proven.

Maybe the seller doesn't know what they are doing... ;)

Or, maybe they DO know what they are doing and haven't posted the firewall pict.

In any case, this deserves some research by the buyer. Only thing we can do is tell them how to go about verifying all this info.

If he couldn't be bothered finishing his primer job what makes u think he could be bothered finishing his botch job on the vin number??? :classic:.

In Australia we didn't get the Vin in the dash we just got it on the firewall and on the compliance plate. It is sneaky that he's not shown a close up clear photo of the vin #. Most people show that if they mention it in the add.

It's good that Carl is watching out for these things however there's alot of people who will BS to you without even blinking.

If it was in Australia I'd be willing to take a look :cry: .