IGNORED

Infinity G35?....well there goes the neighbor hood!

go z racer, go

Infinity or Z car?

I love going up to folks that have a Lexus SUV and say to them "nice Toyota truck". They usually get upset, since they paid so much for the thing. That's what I guess would probably happen if you told a G35 owner "nice Z car". They might get upset too..... Maybe Infinity owners might want to avoid this kind of lineage to a lesser priced car altogether?

I would rather have a "Z" than a "G35 Infinity" thingimibob, but then I guess I'm kinda biased...

As for Lexus', they ARE more well equipt than Toyotas. They are definitely not of the same quality as Toyotas. Just because a company makes economy cars doesn't mean they dont know how to make luxury ones too.

Marketing ploy? Perhaps. Overpriced? Maybe. Successful? Hell yes. Americans love them! Australia is unshamedly following you guys too...

Originally posted by Alfadog

Marketing ploy? Perhaps. Overpriced? Maybe. Successful? Hell yes. Americans love them! Australia is unshamedly following you guys too...

Hitler was "successful" too. So is Sadam Hussain "successful". But success dioesn't necessarily mean that the game being played is useful or beneficial. Success for success sake isn't anything I care about. Make a better wiget and I'm interested in it. The quality of Lexus and Infinity isn't THAT much different from the quality of Toyota and Nissan. But they sure have found a way to appeal to a different market segment while still using essentially the same product. Yeah, there are a few more bells and whistles on them, but the design and technology IS the same.

Comparing Lexus with Hitler is a bit far-fetched...

Granted, but he was successful in what he set out to do, just as Nissan, and Toyota have been successful in their chosen effort to sell the same platform to a different market segment.

I'm not condoning anything that either Hitler or Nissan, or Toyota have done. Just pointing out that "success" does not necessarily mean the project is worth recognizing as beneficial, useful, or anthing else. Success is in the eye of the beholder. It means many things to many people.

I think Toyota, and Nissan have been successful at making a certain segment of the population feel that a Toyota (or Nissan) with a bunch of extra "do-dads" added to it, is something different than the Toyota or Nissan that it really is.

A turd with frosting on it is still a turd!

Hitler wanted to rule hte world.

Toyota wanted to be a serious competitor with BMW and Mercedes.

The difference is Hitler only got half way. Toyota/Lexus have reached their goal. They've done it. They're successful.

Success means, in my book, that you have reached the goal you set yourself. Lexus has done this, and have gone further.

Toyota wanted to be a serious competitor with BMW and Mercedes.......................

..............Toyota/Lexus have reached their goal. They've done it. They're successful.

They may be successful in their own eyes, but I do not believe that Mercedes and BMW feel that Infinity and Lexus automobiles are in any way equal to their own products. Certainly not equal in terms of quality. Though I do not have figures to back this up, I do not believe that Lexus or Infinity sell anywhere near the number of vehicles that Mercedes or BMW sell either.

JMO

Carl

I can only go off what I have heard, and that is that Lexus sold more cars in 2000 in the US than BMW or Mercedes.

I had the impression that Lexus was a really big seller in the US. This is what I bases all my previous posts on - my ideas.

BMW and Merc will NEVER believe Lexus to have the same quality as them. After all, tehy're Japanese!! How would they know how to make luxury cars?

The new Z weighs more than a Corvette. The Infinity weighs even more. Now where are all the folks that said the 280ZX was bloated? 800 pounds more than a 240 is really fat, fat, fat.

Sure the Infinity is not a Z, but then again, the 350Z is not at all close to the Z lineage either.... IMHO, of courseROFL