IGNORED

Infinity G35?....well there goes the neighbor hood!

go z racer, go

Hey Steve, I have nothing against the Infinity G35, or any other Z "cousin"for that matter. However, I enjoy and favor my membership to this particular site because it is very distinct. You, and everyone else here shares that distinction. We are defined as "Classic Z" owners. A good car club, and make no mistake -- this is a good car club, is not defined, or measured by head counts, but rather it's membership dedication, the desire, the passion for a particular mark. While the Infinity G35 is manufactured by Nissan (if you did peel away the less tan subtle Infinity badges you would find a 350Z) it is not a "Z."

Another "dividing" component to consider would be the "owners." Although we come from all walks of life, and tune into Bay Watch in several different languages (yeah, as if any of us cling to the dialogue), we share at least one common factor. Our love affair for "Z" cars. Nissan didn't create "Infinity line" because they were selling too many cars. Actually, it was the exact opposite, at the time Nissan was some 14 billion dollars in the hole. Nissan, like Toyota, felt a need to cash in on a market that was once reserved exclusively for German made cars.

I'll attempt to articulate this point. Now, this may come as a shock to some but, our passion for this L6 asphalt missile, budget 250 GTO Ferrari, Rice Rocket-hunter is missed by the average Joe-Public. That's fine with me. The Infinity G35's is designed to attract a particular market landscape. This market was missed by the MTV/Speed Channel, pride in Z ownership commercials that peppered our televisions the world over. This market missed the three year Z excitement found in all the popular motorsport publications that led to this years release of the 350Z. This market is drawn to the Infinity-brand, a social economic statement on wheels if you will. Still with me?

This is not say that we are all in the poor house. Hell, if I won my state lottery I would fly to Japan and buy a bad arse Fairlady, factory G-nose to burn up my Laguna Seca race track built on my "Faster-Faster Land" Ranch. But that's me. Not the guy who chooses to buy the G35 over the 350Z. Chances are good that he's a nice guy too, but something tells me he'll never pick up a wrench. He'll probably pass on an after market parts catalogue in favor for a J. C. Crew, or a Crate & Barrel brochure. This guy might not soil himself if his wife purchased him a BRE replica 240Z for Christmas. More than likely, he'll ask/demand her for the receipt instead.

I believe car clubs the world over represent a politicly acceptable segregated arena. A club by it's very nature, to some degree, is discriminatory. That's why there's so many clubs. Almost everyone I know, and don't know, drives a car, however, I only know a few that own Z cars. I'll walk up and start a conversation with a perfect stranger if notice their car to be a Z. I'll bet most of you do, or at least, have done the same. Right? Face it wer're a rare breed.

So in short, yeah, of course you can connect the dots from an Infinity G35 to Nissan but, before you do, think back to the last time you ran over to greet a stranger closing the door to their Infinity---Jerry

the infiniti owner you describe would probably never join a club like ours, so that's a moot point. however, if a G35 owner did want to join a Z car club like ours, you would deny him based on the fact that the rebadged Z isn't a Z? do you think mustang clubs deny membership to shelby or saleen owners, these companies are separate and independent manufacturers (in fact, it is not appropriate to refer to a shelby or saleen mustang as a ford, they are the manufacturers of said mustangs). these are cars that have less ties to ford than a G35 has to nissan (assembled in non-ford plants, by people not under ford's control, etc., where as the G35 is assembled by nissan). it's one thing to deny membership to someone with a completely different carmake (i.e. someone with a corvette), but it's other to deny someone membership if their car is from the same family, especially if the two cars are closely related (350Z and G35). clubs are about comraderie, and this idea should come first, before we start drawing lines in the sand that separate us. personally, i think if you own any car in a related group of cars, you should be allowed in a particular club (i.e. you own a skyline, or 510, you should be allowed in the Z club).

You present a remarkably knowledgeable argument. No doubt you are well read as you are versed. However, I feel you may have missed my point and for that I apologize. I'm not arguing the G35's DNA, but rather their owners. Why else would Nissan produce such a line? To appeal to a different market.

It's not a matter of "excluding" a particular group from this club for choosing not to drive a Z car, it's more like "why" would they care to join. What's really here for them, what's offered here that would benefit a G35 owner? What could they possibly contribute from their experience as G35 owners that would have a value here? It's not because we don't care either. New Z owners posting the most fundamental of questions receive overwhelming response from seasoned mechanics void of snooty comments. Where else can you find (free) international attention to any question, regarding anything, that might concern your Z car? Here you'll find members with cerebral blue prints to assist you in converting your N/A 240Z into a turbo charged meat-rocket...and from junk yard parts no less! The same cannot be said for the G35. Too much plastic, emissions, silicon chips, and technology for me to digest. Even if I could, the engine bay affords little to no "working space."

In short, the vast majority of G35 owners will not have much in common with "Classic Z" car owners. Nor do I feel they will find a need for this site. They won't be swapping engines or gear boxes anytime soon. Neither will they be seeking out "used" parts for their G35s anytime soon. More than likely, they wouldn't elicit "do -- it -- yourself" repair advise; again, no need.

This car club, at times, acts very much like a Z owners support group. As a none smoker, I wouldn't join a "stop smoking" support group just because I could; no need. What good would it do me? As a none smoker what could I contribute? So, perhaps G35 owners would be better served else where, respectively.

Now, I could be wrong about all of this, it wouldn't be the first time or the last.---Jerry

Hi All:

I believe that Steve's original question related NOT to this 'Classic Z"club or website, but rather to his "Central Coast Z Car Club" if I am not mistaken. (We seem to be in a different thread, now)

I agree with "go z racer, go" (and his articulate and well thought-out response) on this one. Corvette clubs do not welcome Camaro owners... There are "Chevrolet" clubs for people who own both types of cars to join if they wish to "hang" together. Mustang clubs don't embrace Pinto owners, etc. Most clubs DO offer exclusivity to a greater or lesser degree. That is most definitely a part of their attraction. This "i think if you own any car in a related group of cars, you should be allowed in a particular club (i.e. you own a skyline, or 510, you should be allowed in the Z club)" philosophy; is to me, a bunch of New Age, all inclusive, "We are the World" Hooey. It waters down the value of such clubs and the service and value they provide to members. I have nothing in common with a Skyline owner. Those cars are fantastic, and I'd love to own one, but if I did own one I would not want to join a Z Club, I'd join a Skyline club.

Interesting Thread. I happen to own a classic 1972 240Z and a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I did not buy the G35C for its Z lineage...nor because it resembled a 350Z. I was looking for a coupe that was fun to drive, backed by impeccable service and nice to look at...the G35C is all that...but that being said...it is not a Z. My two cars satisfy two very different "urges" for me, and I am pleased with both. I would however, NOT join the Z club if I were solely a G35C owner...there are several other venues available such as g35driver.com and freshalloy.com that satisfy my need to communicate with drivers of the G35 cars.

As stated above, my reason for being here at Classic Z is that I enjoy viewing, learning and perusing the Z Forum. It satisfies a need.

I enjoy both cars...but the Z is Special. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by jmkm000

Interesting Thread. I happen to own a classic 1972 240Z and a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. .............(snip by carl)..... My two cars satisfy two very different "urges" for me, and I am pleased with both. I would however, NOT join the Z club if I were solely a G35C owner...there are several other venues available such as g35driver.com and freshalloy.com that satisfy my need to communicate with drivers of the G35 cars. (snip by Carl)

I enjoy both cars...but the Z is Special. Just my 2 cents.

Two very different cars, but both are very nice cars, indeed!

Frankly, I cannot imagine why a G35 owner would want to join a Z club (unless he also owned a Z) But there are a lot things out there that I do not understand :)

actually the G35 is based off of another famous nissan model. replace the infinti badges with nissan badges and you have

*drum roll please*

a base model R35 nissan skyline. the front and rear styling on the G35 is IDENTICAL to the current JDM skyline save badging.

underneth the sheetmetal the cars are the same however (though the JDM skyline has optional AWD).

yes unfortunately the R34 skyline is no longer in production and the GTR is taking a one year hiatus.

one important note. the 350Z is currently the fastest car nissan makes while the GTR is on hiatus since it is lighter than the G35/Skyline

Remember you don't have to own a Z to be a club member in most cases - you just have to have some interest in Z cars. Many members of this Z club don't own Z's yet. Now I don't know about the G35 owner in this case, but his reason for joining could simply that he has an interest in Z's (maybe the 350Z). Considering the close relation between the G35 and the 350Z, he could possibly get something out of joining the Z club. Sort of a gray area I guess.

I own a 240z and a 280z, and i would have to call a 350Z a Z. Of course they are no where near the same, but they both give you that rush of excitement when you drive it.

I kind of look at at as a different flavor candy. It's like the 240Z and the 350Z

are two different flavors but they are both delicious.

Sure you can say the 350Z is sedan based but wasn't the 240Z sedan based also.(correct me if i am wrong.) I mean i am not going to buy a 350Z anytime soon but i still respect it as a Z.

Moreover I am just glad there is a Z out there.

The G35 is not a Z, but it is probably still fun to drive and if you need a backseat there it is. I'm glad they made the Infinity G35 seperate, cause I sure don't think it should be a 350Z 2+2.

TKR514

I don't think poppalance was talking about a 280Z 2+2, Nor was he inferring

towards 2+2's. I assume he meant the 2-seaters. I have a friend who feels the same way as poppalance, and only likes the 70-78 & 90-95 2-seaters. I have owned two 81 ZX's in the past and I like the body styles. I don't like the Z31 body styles too much, but i drove my friends Z31 and it was fun. I still see the 280zx as a Z, and even the Z31 as part of the Z linage. I agree your 79 2-seater bodystyle looks better than any 2+2 body style. There will always be those people who don't think 78+ is a Z, Who cares. I still like them and I enjoy them. Then again I

don't have my ZXs anymore. Now i have a 240Z and a 280Z.