IGNORED

[2014] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Arne

someone one had taken one of my new plastic fuse cover in the engine bay.
It has to be another S30 owner in your area. Why would anyone else take it? Around my town, people will yell at you if they see you touching something or getting too close, let alone stealing a part from the engine area.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a 3 hour ride today. Highway 101 South to Highway 92 West toward Half Moon Bay on the coast, without much traffic until close to Half Moon Bay.

South on Highway 1 with the ocean on our right to Highway 84 East. 84 is nice and twisty through the hills.

Turned North onto 280, then East on 380, to 101 South back home. Car ran great and cool, but temp gauge acted a bit strange.

We waved at nice looking 280Z going the opposite direction on Highway 84. Was than anybody from here? Sorry, no pics as I forgot my camera.

Washed and waxed the car.

Removed the leaking 3-qt accusump with a whole lot less mess than expected. Decided to repaint the passenger side floor while it was out. Tightened up the rest of the oil line connections and then safety wired the oil sender, oil pan plug, tranny fill and drain plugs along with the diff plugs.

Will reconnect accusump tomorrow but will need to wait for a better time to start the engine other than Mother's Day on a quiet street to verify there are no new oil leaks.

Checked and tighten the bolts after changing the diff a couple weeks ago. Everything looked good. Also took the rear bumper of and straighten the brackets (po got hit very light in passanger side before i bought the car). Worked out well, bumper sits straight and you cant realy notice that its been hit.

Went for a 3 hour ride today. Highway 101 South to Highway 92 West toward Half Moon Bay on the coast, without much traffic until close to Half Moon Bay.

South on Highway 1 with the ocean on our right to Highway 84 East. 84 is nice and twisty through the hills.

Turned North onto 280, then East on 380, to 101 South back home. Car ran great and cool, but temp gauge acted a bit strange.

We waved at nice looking 280Z going the opposite direction on Highway 84. Was than anybody from here? Sorry, no pics as I forgot my camera.

The drive up north towards Point Arena is very nice, too. About 20 years ago I went from Fairfield, through Petaluma, up to Point Arena, and then down to the Muir Woods.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the car out and ready for this years events around the Burg about a 2 months a go and I started to hear a strange noise in the engine area. I could not pinpoint the exact location, so I purchase one of the mechanic stethoscope's and hunted and hunted. Still unable to find it. Was like a clicking noise every so often. Even my 89 year old mother said the car did not sound right.

Well the problem showed it's ugly head about 2 weeks ago with coolant leaking from some place in the front of the engine by the alternator. So from all the info I gleaned form this site I thought I would try a new water pump. So far the noise has stopped and it is not leaking at this point.

I purchased the pump (AISIN) from Rock Auto and new bolts form Motorsport Auto. All the bolts came out with no problems and the gasket was pretty easy to get off.

Attached is a picture of the new and old parts. I was wondering if the old water pump was original, it's a AMPCO. I don't remember it being changed when I had to replace the head gasket back in 1979/80 or when I had the car worked on back in 1999.

post-13827-14150828834982_thumb.jpg

The old pump sounds and feels very rough when you spin it. Bad bearings.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove the Datsun down to Costa Mesa, got there a little late, missed the awards so don't know which cars won. Saw plenty anyway. Best part for me was when two Datsun Roadsters with turbo'd twin cam engines left the parking lot. They sounded great. Nice drive back on Highway 1.

Will post a few photos here in the next day or two after I reduce them.

Spent Father's Day with my son, cleaning up the 30 year old paint job on '70 S30. Wash, Mothers Clay Bar, Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, finish with Mothers California Gold carnauba wax. I think we knocked at least 10 years off the paint job, it was a 20' car before and now it's a 10' car LOL. Thanks Chris.

Mike/Dad

post-8626-14150829065916_thumb.jpg