IGNORED

Window NOT lining up

240Ziggy

Haha! Note that I've not performed this specific repair. Just looks possible from the pics. Proof is left to the attempter.....

That may not be a problem Cap'n, 240Ziggy might want to mail you the window for repair. heh heh.

I wonder if you took some nylon washers and cutout one side to fit over the axle, then melted the washers together so the cutouts don't line up. Then melt the cutout part back on. Maybe some work before install with a bench grinder to bevel the edge of the washers to shape them like the original was.

My DD Toyota had a couple of washers in the wiper motor mechanism that came apart. They had apparently been ultrasonically welded together. I melted them back together with a wood burning tip on a soldering iron, that was 20 years ago, repair still good.

That may not be a problem Cap'n, 240Ziggy might want to mail you the window for repair. heh heh.

Best advise so far!:D Thanks guys for all your input, really helps a lot. In over 30 years of owning a 240z this is the first time i've encountered this problem. I'm checking around at some stores for nylon washers and when I find some i'll make the attempt as Cap'n Obvious suggested... I'll mail the regulator! hahaha!

Yeah, it would suck to buy a whole regulator assembly just for that stupid washer.

Think about it this way... If the only other option is to buy a whole new one, then there's nothing to lose by trying other ummm "creative" methods first, right? :)

And you know where to find me if you want to send me the assy, right? No? You don't? Awwwww. :laugh:

Edited by Captain Obvious

Well, I picked up some washers I think would work from a hard rubber grommet and nylon insert. So I started to grind off that permanent post.

Zwindow7.jpg

While working in the garage to look for some nuts and bolts in my "assorted pile section":) I grabbed to toss something away and long and behold I found these tarp eyelets that looked exactly what i'm looking for right under my nose! What a fluke! They fit perfectly with a bit of mod.

Zwindow8.jpg

I don't know if I should change the other original one or leave it? I'll be packing them with grease once I install it.

Zwindow9.jpg

The next challenging part is to assemble it back together inside the door which i think is going to be hard.

Edited by 240Ziggy

I lost track a long time ago the number of things I've opened up that were never intended to be worked on. I know that I spend waaaaaaaay more labor value than the parts are worth, but I just keep doing it anyway! :stupid:

The best part is (as you now have in your case) a unit that is serviceable in the future. The time you invested this once will allow for simple and easy future repairs if necessary. Awesome!

• 2 years later...

@240Ziggy how did this work out for you? did the head of the bolt fastening the roller to the regulator assembly clear everything under the door skin just fine?

I am going to buy a set of the tarp eyelets from PA tomorrow.... There was only one of those pieces on one of the regulators I've cleaned up. Did each roller have one of those under it?

Edited by Careless

15 hours ago, Careless said:

@240Ziggy how did this work out for you? did the head of the bolt fastening the roller to the regulator assembly clear everything under the door skin just fine?

I am going to buy a set of the tarp eyelets from PA tomorrow.... There was only one of those pieces on one of the regulators I've cleaned up. Did each roller have one of those under it?

Sorry for the delay. My home computer crashed and i can't reply from it instead I'm using my phone. Yes it's working perfectly fine still. I've used fasteners that i have laying around and lucky enough to find one with a flatter head bolt. Make sure you cut it flush with the nut and punch the end of the bolt so the nut will not losen to come off. There should be one on all each roller. Yours probably have  already disintegrated before you cleaned it.:D.

I'm in the middle of performing the same fix on my regulators, too.  The match of the outside dimensions (outside diameter, thickness) between the PA tarp grommets and the Nissan 'cone washers' is remarkable.  Whoever spotted these as a replacement deserves a medal for 'thinking outside the box'. 

It will be interesting to see how well this works.  The Nissan 'cone washer' is made from a flexible plastic and has a fairly thin cross-section, meaning that it's pretty compliant as it slides along the regulator arm's and can compensate for a degree of wobble in the roller (of course, this also means that it tears and then falls off).  It looks like it was intended to act like a really soft thrust washer -- creates a little bit of pre-load and takes up the slop in what needs to be a fairly high-clearance assembly.  The PA tarp washer is made from hard plastic, so it has no 'give'.  It will be able to wobble on the pin shaft, but only because it's a sloppy fit.  It will serve to fill the clearance gap, but it won't act like an axial spring.  I'm not too worried about it jamming or sticking, but I expect that the action may feel a bit different.  Won't know until everything's installed in the car.

I did something similar with a thick nylon washer and a shoulder bolt from the local ACE Hardware.  It does have a slightly tighter spot in the middle of the range.  If I recall, my roller broke but the backing cone-shaped guide piece was okay.  So I didn't need the grommet, just the roller.

One concern might the type of grease used on the plastic roller.  Some plastics won't do well in a petroleum based grease, they'll swell and/or fall apart.  Silicone might be the way to go there.