IGNORED

Window NOT lining up

240Ziggy

I've searched all over and can't find a solution to my window problem. The passenger window on my stock 240Z suddenly won't line up to the frame when I roll it up. There's a good half inch gap, I have to push the window in order to line it up inside the frame channel. I've checked inside and nothing seems to have gotten lose or break, the roller is still in. I don't want to take the whole thing apart as this car has never been abused. Anyone have any suggestion? I'm ready to :stupid:

Thanks in advance, here are some photos:

Zwindow1.jpg

Zwindow2.jpg

Zwindow3.jpg

Taking the inside panel off is not hard and will let you see inside the door. The hardest part is popping the plastic hold-downs off and removing the plastic sheeting. The Body chapter of the FSM describes taking the door panel off.

Do that and read this Technical Article,or vice-versa. Looks like something broke, maybe one of the bolts on the top of the front of the door.

Classic Zcar Club - S30 Door Window Problems and Troubleshooting Procedures

Thank you so much Zed Head for your help and the Tech Article. I took the door panel off to look for any broken pieces inside the door and check for any mis-aligning along the frame channel. Nothing I could find to be wrong or broken. This article will sure help me guide along, I was afraid to remove the whole window assembly out and not be able to put it back properly. I will update once I take it apart.

I took the inside window apart and everything looks tight and straight except for these two broken plastic washers that goes into the roller arms of the regulator. Anyone knows if these washers are still available or do I have to buy a whole new regulator just for a couple of plastic washers? Could the washers be the culprit? Unless something else is misaligning the window, any ideas? Thanks.

Zwindow4.jpg

Zwindow6.jpg

Zwindow5.jpg

They don't seem to be called out as separate pieces here - Datsun 240Z Door Lock, Window Regulator & Door Handle (To Jul.-'73)

My window would hang outside the rail at times after I got my car. I messed with several things at once but if I remember right the thing that made a big difference was putting the "door glass bumper" (page 2 in the PDF file) back on to the door skin. It hangs/clips on to the door skin near the front of the window opening and pushes the window in as it's rolled up. They seem to break off from flex-fatigue over time as noted in the PDF file. I found the pieces to mine in the bottom of the door. Got a replacement at the wrecking yard.

Part #26 here, but hard to see - Datsun 240Z Door Moulding, Finish & Arm Rest (To Jul.-'73)

BUT, maybe, if you're lucky, new ones might still be available - STOPPER-RU :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Check with your local dealer first, using the part number. Note that they are left and right, I don't know which number is which.

Your broken rollers might also be leaving their channels and binding. But it looks like you'll have to build your own or replace the whole assembly.

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks Zed Head, the rollers on mine looks pretty solid and you're right jfa.series1, it's unfortunate to not able to replace the washers since the rollers seems to be permanently pressed in with the washer. What a bummer to buy a whole regulator assembly just for that washer! :( and only if they are still available? I'm brainstorming in the garage and looking at these parts in explosive pieces on my hood right now. Cheers and thanks again for the help!

Yep - you found the culprit. Those nylon rollers keep everything lined up in the tracks and your earlier pictures confirm how they lost alignment. You'll probably have to locate another regulator since they held in place by a permanent post.

I had on my first Z lost the washers on the drives side and I do not remember that much of an aliment issue. Until I took the door apart and the roller that clips on the top of the door broke then it was bad. it was funny the other side was missing the roller that clips on no problem with good washers until you reached over 45 mph. The combo of missing both parts makes it not work well. I had another part so that was how I repaired it and the old one from the car is my extra.

I just went down and looked at my extra window parts. You might want to check the auto part store I remember at one time they sold a window repair kit with similar parts. They had a pin that screwed together that the rollers connected to (make sure to use some lock-tight on the scew). If they still sell it you just need to drill out the old pin. Good luck I do not think you have many other options.

Whaaaa? "Permanent?" What is the meaning of this word "permanent"?

Carbide burr on a Dremel. Drill and tap the remaining stub and use a small screw and a washer to retain a new wheel. :)

I truly admire creative repair with enthusiasm!

Edited by Mikes Z car

One of my windows was doing the same thing. I put a few washers under the regulator when I mounted it and the problem went away. The broken plastic washers didn't cause a problem in the operation of the window. I had to play around with the location and number of washers but it made it work.