IGNORED

1972 Float Adjustment ...

240Z240Z240Z

The fuel level will reach the tops of the nozzles long before the float bowls overflow unless the needle valves are faulty. There's no reason to suspect that they're bad. To determine the readjusted fuel height in the float bowl and nozzles (the fuel level is the same in both of them) reassemble them, fire it up for a minute, shut it down and remove the domes and pistons. Check the fuel height in the hole in the nozzles at 2 1/2 turns down.  Looking at your pic, I suspect that the float level is going to be too low but the only way to tell is by looking at the nozzles.

2 hours ago, psdenno said:

My first clue that everything was accomplished with a high level of precision and perfection was that there are TWO #10 entries on the "Rebuild Process" list. 

Dennis

This engine looks to be a rather expensive build as that sheet shows. I would be surprised if California Datsun had anything to do with this build.

He is better known as fast and dirty rebuilds a cheap as possible. I believe he may have purchased it from someone, maybe on Craigslist and flipped it.

And it was likely built some time ago, which is no issue. You see FAR performance (camshaft) has been gone for how long? 30 years?

Don Potter died in 2009. He was ill for quite awhile and likely had not done much well before he died.

I would think this is a really strong fast motor. I just don"t know what is going on. I do not believe Panama heat has much to do with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lumens said:

This engine looks to be a rather expensive build as that sheet shows. I would be surprised if California Datsun had anything to do with this build.

He is better known as fast and dirty rebuilds a cheap as possible. I believe he may have purchased it from someone, maybe on Craigslist and flipped it.

And it was likely built some time ago, which is no issue. You see FAR performance (camshaft) has been gone for how long? 30 years?

Don Potter died in 2009. He was ill for quite awhile and likely had not done much well before he died.

I would think this is a really strong fast motor. I just don"t know what is going on. I do not believe Panama heat has much to do with it.

Who knows? At this point in time, all I know is, he's got an engine with supposedly good compression, rebuilt carbs from ZTherapy and it's never run worth a damn. It should be easy to eliminate the carbs from the running crappy scenario and move on to the next problem. Hopefully the running crappy will be in the past and the fuel and engine overheating issue can be looked at. I can't believe that Panama heat is the sole problem either. There are Z's running in Arizona and other hot areas that have beat the overheating problem.

I must confess, I've have had kind of an uneasy feeling that Jalex would be better off with a stock engine due to the driving conditions in Panama. Used engines are still cheap and only take a few hours to install. That said, I'm not ready to tap out yet. We've got a way to go before a different engine is a possibility. Let's get back to the carbs and floats and cross those off the list.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lumens said:

Give me a few minutes and I can type up an even better build sheet.  Unfortunately, it may not accurately reflect the actual engine.  If you go to the California Datsun web site, he still mentions that his engines are done by an engine builder in Riverside, CA - just like on the flyer.  There's a warehouse along the 60 Freeway that has advertised rebuilt Japanese engines for many years - it may be the supplier.  I think the big thing is the reputation of the seller and California Datsun has a poor one.  Include me on the list of those who suspect issues other than the carbs may be contributing to the poor performance.

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jalexquijano said:

The car is a sunday car when there is no traffic. However, once you get on stop and go traffic plus heat idle becomes lumpy and tends to fall frrom 1000 rpm to 600.

Run the idle from 1,200 to 800 and deal with it. You run your  a/c with the hotter cam in a high temp climate. That seems simple to me, am I missing some important detail?

15 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

What???? Is this what this whole post is about. Mine does that too.
I thought this was about going lean?? I’m lost again.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Sometimes the fog is so thick you can't see your nose but you know it's there when somebody takes a crap on it for 5 or 6 years. LOL

• Like 1

Could idle speed be the problem? I think it may be contributing to the plugs loading up during a long idle. I want to get the carbs tuned to rule out that possibility. In my youth, when everyone was stuffing big cams into small block Chevys, one of the negatives was having to blip the throttle to clear the plugs when the idle started dropping. I didn't think Jalex's cam had enough duration or overlap to make it idle that rough but IF the idle is supposed to be up around 1200 rpms, it would indicate that it is a rough idling cam.

@jalexquijano After the engine is warmed up, what is the RPMs at idle. A few historical questions. I believe you changed cams to try alleviate a problem earlier. What was the problem? Did the cam change help? Was there ever a time (even briefly) when the engine ran good or have there been problems since day one?