IGNORED

Advice needed for selling my 1972 240Z

I bought my Z car in 1972 and am still driving it. Happily at 83 as a retired surgeon I still enjoy driving it, but unhappily I'm finding hard to get into and out of and I'm hoping to sell it to someone who will appreciate being a Z owner. It has been in California except for 2 years At Scott AFB in southern Illinois and 3 years in Washington DC. so rust isn't a problem. It has 180,000 miles on it, has the original engine and still runs well, but has also the original interior.

How would you suggest I learn what it is worth and what is the best way to sell it? I can't imagine how it would work on eBay and is there another way to put it on the market besides Craig's List?

I'd appreciate any insights that others have had in selling or buying a 240 z.

I'd start by posting some pictures here. Chances are one of the serious enthusiasts here will want to buy it from you.

Lots of rip-offs on eBay and Craigslist. Absolutely DO NOT hand the car or title over to ANYONE until you have CASH in hand. They even forge cashiers checks today!

Gordon

Welcome to classiczcars.com. This site has a classified section, feel free to post it here.

Look at the other similiar z cars for sale and decide what yours might be worth.

There are many Z owners here that are in your area. As Wade says post a couple of pictures in this thread, and I'll bet you'll get some quick response. A well cared for one owner car is much sought after.

Good luck with the sale.

And as Wade says, cash or nothing.

Edited by zKars

Hi Gordon:

If you take pictures of the car - be sure to include clear photo's of the main area's of concern, that any serious 240Z buyer will have. Yes, it will take some time and be a bit of trouble - but good pictures are what sell cars today in the Internet World.

- the area under the battery and on down to the frame rail.

- the rear deck lid threshold plate - where the deck lid closes down on it

- the dog legs just ahead of the rear wheel arches on both sides

- the undercarriage showing the condition of the front frame rails and floorboards

- good pictures of the engine compartment and engine - both sides

Buyers well want to know if the dash is cracked, they will want to see the condition of the door panels. These are both very expensive to replace.

Be sure to list any/all repair/maintance items that you have done within the past couple years.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Gordon, were you at the ZONC show earlier today? There were a few original owners there with some fantastic looking (and very original) Z-cars!

As far as worth, put up some good pictures and you should be able to get some close, credible estimates.