IGNORED

Josh's 280Z VG30DE 5-speed swap!

pureZero

Cool gases exit the exhaust faster...? Okay... Tell you what, If you can prove to me that cool exhaust is better on a N/A, I'll believe you. Give me some irrefutable proof, please. Bigger isn't always better...

And apparently, I was mistaken on the stock exhaust size for the z32... It's already 2.25. Any smaller than that, and there'll be some performance issues. I'll still be making my own headers, instead of relying on the stock parts.

Your vocabulary seems to be outpacing your knowledge. Actually doing something is the best way to learn.

Zed, I agree, its just my wallet has trouble keeping up with my thirst to learn.

On another subject. I still can see why the transmission shifter is so far back (shifter is 5.5" back). Is it a FS5W71C? If so the rear mount is only 1" further back and the shifter is in approx the same place. This would put the rear of the engine in the same place as the L6 engine. The V6 length being roughly three cylinders shorter would shift the centre of gravity to the back.

Thanks for the lesson. I'm guessing you didn't read the link I posted?

I did, but seriously... I promise you that I am not blowing smoke here (no pun intended). Hot gases tend to move faster through the exhaust. Yes, exhaust will cool off as they move through the piping, but it needs to stay hot for a little while.

And I'll stick to going with 2.25", thanks though. Just having mendrel bent tubing, no cats, and free-flowing headers will be a huge help to the engine. It's not that I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong, but I am going with what I know, and the link didn't really go into how to apply the information.

Zed, I agree, its just my wallet has trouble keeping up with my thirst to learn.

On another subject. I still can see why the transmission shifter is so far back (shifter is 5.5" back). Is it a FS5W71C? If so the rear mount is only 1" further back and the shifter is in approx the same place. This would put the rear of the engine in the same place as the L6 engine. The V6 length being roughly three cylinders shorter would shift the centre of gravity to the back.

I have the FS5R30A. I can't get anything else either. I'll have to get what I already have to work.

The FS5W71C came with the Z31, and I have a Z32, which came with the FS5R30A.

Edited by pureZero

My S30 lessons have stalled recently also. I need something to break.

Found a good reference on exhaust concepts, linked below. If you're tuning the exhaust system to generate pressure waves (think two-stroke engine pipes) at specific RPM ranges then a constriction can be useful. But just adding a random constriction to maintain velocity will just give random results. Why not go down to 2" or 1.5?

Exhaust System Technology: Science and Implementation of High Performance Exhaust Systems

On the shifter - there's a guy on Hybridz who came up with a very simple modification for the shifter bracket and rod on the Z32 transmission. A few cuts and welds and the lever is where it needs to be.

The part is called a "support bracket" in the attached drawing.

post-20342-14150824623861_thumb.jpg

My S30 lessons have stalled recently also. I need something to break.

Found a good reference on exhaust concepts, linked below. If you're tuning the exhaust system to generate pressure waves (think two-stroke engine pipes) at specific RPM ranges then a constriction can be useful. But just adding a random constriction to maintain velocity will just give random results. Why not go down to 2" or 1.5?

Exhaust System Technology: Science and Implementation of High Performance Exhaust Systems

On the shifter - there's a guy on Hybridz who came up with a very simple modification for the shifter bracket and rod on the Z32 transmission. A few cuts and welds and the lever is where it needs to be.

The part is called a "support bracket" in the attached drawing.

If you'll go back in the thread a little bit, you'll see that I was mistaken about the stock Z32 exhaust tubing size in the first place. It is already 2.25", so I'm not down-sizing any time soon.

Do you have any idea where that thread is, for the shifter modifications?

It's for an RB swap but the concept should work. You'll have to measure for your project. - Z32 Transmission Shifter Relocaters - Group Buys - HybridZ

and the 240hoke part mentioned, for an L6 - Z32 Transmission Shifter Relocaters - Group Buys - HybridZ

Use Google and search "site:hybridz.org z32 shifter" and you'll find a bunch of reading.

I did, but seriously... I promise you that I am not blowing smoke here (no pun intended). Hot gases tend to move faster through the exhaust. Yes, exhaust will cool off as they move through the piping, but it needs to stay hot for a little while.

And I'll stick to going with 2.25", thanks though. Just having mendrel bent tubing, no cats, and free-flowing headers will be a huge help to the engine. It's not that I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong, but I am going with what I know, and the link didn't really go into how to apply the information.

Exhaust dynamics are much more complicated than "exhaust will cool off as they move through the piping, but it needs to stay hot for a little while." You seem to be designing your entire exhaust system based on a relatively trivial premise.

Can't say I didn't try...

Basically, guys... I know I'm no expert here. However, I have enough of an understanding on exhaust dynamics to make a set-up that will work okay. You need to remember one incredibly simple fact... I am on a very tight budget at the moment. Right now, I am more concerned with the car running well than I am about designing a high-performance exhaust. I simply don't have the kind of money needed to do so. I just want to make sure it will run well, and get decent power. If it sounds good, then great! There are exactly zero kits for the swap, and I'm flying by the seat of my pants a little bit. However, I am not going into this project blind, as some of your posts seem to be hinting at.

The shop I'll go through to build the exhaust will be more than happy to take my ideas and help make them work, as they will have a better understanding of it all. And if I have to buy headers, instead of making my own, then that's fine. I will do what I have to do to make it work.

Edited by pureZero