IGNORED

SU Sightglasses available (see fuel bowl levels)

Jarvo2

I saw Phillip's message as soon as I finished mine and saw that he's got you covered. He should be able to hand carry a few of those for you (and him, I suspect). Excellent.

And you're right about adapting the sight glasses from your anchors. They are designed to mount into a large flat surface, which doesn't exist on the round top bowl sides. You got a tig capable of aluminum? :pirate:

But before you pull the trigger on a sight glass... Take a look at the other options at that web site. They offered straight threads as well, and I don't know which would be a better approach. If you're relying on pipe threads to provide both mechanical strength and hydraulic seal, I'd be wary about the small number of threads of engagement that you'll be able to get in the relatively thin wall of the bowl casting. I'm thinking that a straight thread and an O-ring might me a better alternative. Just something to think about.

I've given it some thought in the past as sight glasses into the round tops has been a stalled project on my workbench for years, but never enough deep thought to make chips.

Measure once, cut twice, I always say! LOL

Well, I had to test a theory about correct fuel levels.

If the correct measurement is 23mm, and its measured from the inside ceiling of the float bowl cover, not the gasket surface, then just where is 23mm down from there on the float bowl? Is there something on the float bowl or carb body that marks this critical position? Or are we doomed to use little rulers and sharpies and leave unsightly (un-site-glass-ly :) and shodily placed marks on our polished carb bodies?

So I measured. And looked. Guess what I found.

Taking a picture from Jarvo's post (#13) above, (I doodled a bit on it)

post-12190-14150824441192_thumb.jpg

What do you see?

I see that magically 23mm down from the ceiling of the cover (the top of which is 3 mm up from the gasket surface), corresponds exactly to the very top edge of that retangular boss 'thing' on the side of the float bowl.

Just what is that thing for anyway? I'm tempted to scribe my name in it, or mount a site glass in it....

and I see that Jarvo likely marked his 23mm measurement down from the float bowl cover gasket.... :)

Edited by zKars

I could not open attachment either, but looking at the pic in post #13, I can see "block" on the side of the float bowl that Jim is alluding to. Will make the alignment much easier and no more marks on side of carb bowls!!

There you go. Take that, you stupid computer....

Nope, now its gone again. Was there, really! Oh well, you got the point I guess

And nice find there Dave at M-C! That place has 5 of EVERYTHING

Is the attachment working for anyone else? I see it now!

Edited by zKars