IGNORED

MSA Muffler fitment

78sid

I've got a 3-2-1 MSA coated header flowing to 2.5 in exhaust with the MSA performance exhaust. I've pretty much decided that to get rid of the drone and get the highway noise reasonable, I'm going to go with a glass pack or resonator in the mid pipe. My biggest annoyance though is the fitment of the muffler. After I figured out the pipe puzzle, the outlet is still too low imo and looks tacky. I'm running without a bumper so that makes it even more exposed.

Has anyone gotten tired of the issue, that so many have talked about, and actually replaced the muffler with something that fits the MSA exhaust path without having to use a custom shop for the whole assembly.

Thanks for the help.

Sid

Thanks, Jim. I installed it as you have shown. I guess I just don't like having to angle it sideways to make it fit. To me, it makes it look like the thing is just crammed in there. I'm going to get some more detailed measurements tonight to try and find a solution, but the available length after the S curve in the pipe is making muffler choices very limited. There is also not a lot of room for adjusting that path without suspension interference.

• 1 month later...

To follow up... I ended up having a cherry bomb 12" glass pack welded into the MSA exhaust package to address the drone. To address the fitment of the muffler, I initially tried a round MagnaFlow but it was entirely to loud. I ended up using a Borla 40659. It's an offset oval muffler than sounds great when you get on it and is small enough to fit in the limited space with no issues.

I did have some issues with the pipe clearance on the differential and exhaust pass under the car. It wasn't touching it when idle but I would occasionally hear a knock when I got on it. It decided to use some wood stove insulation tape. It is really like a flat piece of fire proof rope. I doubled it up and used the supplied adhesive to strategically and neatly place in the gaps to prevent the knock. Worked like a charm.