IGNORED

'71 240Z in LA

Mason

Dropping in a bigger engine is easier

Bart

Perfect, thanks for the advice. I'm sold!

Just kidding. I understand the aesthetic of keeping the original parts and working with them to keep the context of the whole car the same. I do like and respect that approach.

That is what I'm currently doing with it, except for the transmission. I took it for a drive last week and when its properly warmed up and blasting along between 3k - 6k rpm, it does make an intoxicating sound.

Right now it is plenty fast for me. But I can see myself getting bored of its current power in a few years or so. At that point I'll most likely replace the little L24 with something else.

But as far as tuning the L24 being more original, I'm not sure. The L24 has been tuned and raced since 1969. The LS2 engine, in particular, was introduced in 2005. So the L24 has a bit of a lead as far people tuning them inside a 240Z.

Right now it is plenty fast for me. But I can see myself getting bored of its current power in a few years or so. At that point I'll most likely replace the little L24 with something else.

I think you'll find that the stock engine has more than enough HP to either keep you entertained or attract the attention of the law. Ask many of us how we know. :)

Dennis

THe LS engines are an easy fit, but the true heart and soul of that Z is the L series engine. If you have to upgrade it, may I humbly suggest an L28. I dropped an L28 into my 240Z and part of me still sort of regrets it. I love the power of the L28, but one day I have plans to drop the L24 back into her, but with a VERY healthy rebuild.

We will see. I may make the L24 rebuild a project for my son and I. :)

I personally think that the heart and soul of MY 240Z is its design, proportions, and aggressive style.

I fell in love with the looks of the car, especially that extra long hood stretched out in front and the pointed and angled back nose. The short rear end and the sharply raked back roof line are just phenomenal. That upturned rear side window is a great detail too.

There is far too much for me to do with the car right now to argue over engine choices and power upgrades. Thanks for the opinions though, they are all valid.

I think you'll find that the stock engine has more than enough HP to either keep you entertained or attract the attention of the law. Ask many of us how we know. :)

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I do agree that there is enough power standard to have fun.

But, I will be going to the track, and I know myself about wanting to get faster lap times.

And at a certain point when I've gotten what I personally can out of the car, I'll make it go faster with more power.

And the bonus there is that on the track I can't get pulled over by the police. I don't recommend driving above speed limit on the streets anyway. I have a family and that sort of irresponsibility doesn't suit me.

Hey Mason, those are some beefy looking calipers up front. Which ones are they? Z looks great!

As far as I know they are stock. I've only replaced the brake lines and pads/shoes. Maybe they were previously upgraded? Don't know. I'll have to go investigate...

I totally agree that the car looks great. I'm very happy with it! :classic:

Edited by Mason

I'm not sure who painted it. The PO was a guy who liked to buy 'em cheap and fix them up a bit and sell them off, so he got it painted.

It's a great color, but the quality isn't quite there. Lots of swirls, and the painter didn't remove or tape off the trim properly so there is a bit of overspray, and in a few places it looks like he chipped the paint with a screwdriver.

But, it is definitely buff-able and will be fixed up to a lustrous shine soon.

I find Mason's comments about the Styling of the 240Z interesting on several levels. First - at age 26 he represents a couple of generations that are younger than me. That shows clearly that the Styling of the 240Z is timeless - ie. A Classic Car. If car guys love them now 43 years later because they are beautiful, car guys will love them for the next 43 years as well.

The discussions related to how much HP one wants, and/or how to attain it - are also interesting and really boil down to personal preferences. Along that line - I belive that there is another Thread where the only logical answer IMHO is given - buy two. One for speed and one to drive as a Modern Classic GT.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I find Mason's comments about the Styling of the 240Z interesting on several levels. First - at age 26 he represents a couple of generations that are younger than me. That shows clearly that the Styling of the 240Z is timeless - ie. A Classic Car. If car guys love them now 43 years later because they are beautiful, car guys will love them for the next 43 years as well.

The discussions related to how much HP one wants, and/or how to attain it - are also interesting and really boil down to personal preferences. Along that line - I belive that there is another Thread where the only logical answer IMHO is given - buy two. One for speed and one to drive as a Modern Classic GT.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Haha. I like that solution.