EuroDat

Fitting 240Z bumpers and Valences to a 280Z

Thanks Chris. It would give some indication of fabrication tolerances, if any.

The dimmension of the bumper bracket would be helpfull too. Just remembered that I have no side mounting point on the 280Z for reference. I'm not sure what the distande from the valance to bumper is.

An imperial tape measure is all I could find, rear bumper, 33.75" between the inside mounting bolts and 44.75" between the outer bolts, centre to centre. 5.5" between bolts on each side which I think is pretty close to what CanTechZ found. The bumper bracket is 2" deep(that is the stand off from bumper to body) 2.5" wide and about 7" long, both holes on the bumper side of the bracket are slots for proper fitment. The distance between the wrap around side of the bumper and the body of the car is about 1/4".

Chris

A little progress on the rear bumper brackets. I cut out some thin sheet metal "prototypes" to check my measurements. Tomorrow Ill fit the bumper.

Then I'll be ready to mass produce this stuff.

RearbumperBracket2.JPG

• Like 3

Fitted the test brackets today. Thanks to CanTechZ and Grannyknot for the measurements. Their measurements made it easy and took a lot of the trial and error out of it.

Here are some photo's of the fitting. The first row is measuring where to drill the hole for the right side bracket. My 280Z has the later valance panel with the strange vertical row of bolt holes.

I need to finish some drawing work and then I'm ready to make some propper brackets.

If anyone is interested, let me know. I already have three plus myself.

RearbumperBracket3.jpg

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing these in person! Now to order the bumpers.... :)

If it's not too late, I'd like to get a set of your front bumper mounts and grill parts.  I've been struggling with making the stock 240Z mounts work on my 280Z without much luck.  Your design looks much better.  I already used the Datsun Spirit mounts on the rear of my car and they worked brilliantly.

22 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I actually bought an early set of those brackets and I was not happy with them at all.  The design and fabrication were not up to my standards so I resold them.  I'm looking for better design and I think that Chas has come up with a terrific solution.

Interested as well if pricing and quality is right 👍

PMG

This evening we finished the first set of brackets. Still need to pickle the welds and test fit everything to make sure everything fits as it should.

Here is a photo of the brackets. Still waiting for bolts and nuts I ordered a week ago. M10 with a 1.25 pitch doesn't seem to be that common. Especially in grade 10.9. I ended up ordering 8.8.

Tomorrow Ill fit the brackets and make step by step photo's. For now I'm just going to crash on the lounge and have a beer.

IMG_1767.JPG

• Like 1

I might be in for a set too.  I'm tired of looking at my park benches and the Futofab bumpers are looking very nice.

What's happening here, is a small business starting?  FutoFab should be partnering up.

Aren't they called biertjes in Holland? 

Count me in for a pair of rear brackets.  I'm getting tired of people asking if I'm going to put a rear bumper on.

8 hours ago, gwri8 said:

Count me in for a pair of rear brackets.  I'm getting tired of people asking if I'm going to put a rear bumper on.

I'd take the fronts if you're selling them as complete sets. Greg and I could work out the details. 

Thanks Chas, they look great and you made them. Winners all around. 

• Like 1

LOL

Look what you started Chas! Maybe next bright idea I have ill just send by PM.... Or maybe just resign yourself to opening a custom fab shop!