IGNORED

Genuine PS30-SB 'Fairlady Z432-R' refresh story in Gallery

HS30-H

I was too late to edit my last post. I had another look at the parts catalog and almost answered my own question. Two different part numbers are given and shown to be interchangeable for the rear fenders, both LH & RH sides. I was mistaken with the doors and front fenders though. It shows the PB model as having its own dedicated part numbers for these pieces. There must a simple reason for the two different part numbers for the rear fenders that escapes me.

Hi,

For some of you may be interested in this, race & rally manual "45nen 2 gatsu" (Feb 1970) introducing and points of tuning of PS30-SB.

This book is 80 pages , very interesting to look at.Lots of technical description and data.

Here are some scans (bad quality by my i-phone), general view and comparison between PS30 and PS30-SB.

All in Japanese, I am thinking of translating whole book....when will it be done???

kats

PS: The fuel reservor tank for early US 240Z (plastic tank) could be the same as a tank for race option. The part number is different, but I guess

it must be the same...

post-3193-14150822437543_thumb.jpg

post-3193-1415082243794_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822438336_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822438737_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822463372_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822463793_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822464262_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It seems a little odd that they would not put any type of air filter over the carbs. Weren't they concerned about sucking dirt into the engine?

It might be something that pains us to see today, but at the time they were not particularly concerned about it. Nissan ran open trumpets on their race and rally engines during this period ( even using simple wire gauze covers on the trumpets for certain international rallies ) and tended to refresh engines between races anyway.

As has been discussed, the homologation of the 432-R was all about saving weight and making a good base for further development. The weight saved on the homologation of the PZR ( I think it was homologated at around 960kg ) allowed Nissan and their privateer customers some scope in further lightening their race cars - whilst also adding weight through safety devices etc - and still being 'legal' to race. The stock airbox, ducting and air filter housing for the S20 engine is quite a large and heavy piece and it would have assisted the weight-saving effort to leave it off. Road users could always retro-fit filters if they really wanted them.

Can you additionally clarify the point when Nissan deployed the Lucas FI for the s20, and how that affected performance of the s20 engine? I've seen period pictures of installations in a C10, but not in a PZR. Not much is written or known about it, but some loosely researched articles suggest that properly tuned FI engines could add upwards of 50 BHP (perhaps aided by different internals? Hotter cam? ).

On the topic of Homologation, would FI be homologated for a C10 or PZR, or is that considered more in the "factory prototype" category?

The factory Works race team used the Lucas-based sliding throttle mechanical injection on their 432-R race cars almost from the get-go. I think in the first couple of races the cars were still fitted with carburettors ( although Weber 45DCOE-9 as opposed to the stock Mikuni-Solex 44PHH ), but certainly they had followed the Skyline GT-R race cars onto the Lucas mech FI by the time of the PZR's first race win ( April 12th 1970, 'Race De Nippon', Fuji Speedway, Hasemi / Kitano ). Although the Lucas-based mech FI system was not really very sophisticated in today's terms, it did give more outright power than carbs and was more suited to the kind of racing they were doing. The works S20 engines that were built to run the injection system had higher compression ratios, different cams and different timing to suit. It's a big topic of research on it's own, as Nissan were trying new things in almost every race and none of the details were really in the public domain.

Of course, the ex-Prince guys at Murayama ( at that time busy building and developing the Skyline GT-R race cars ) considered the S20 to be 'their' engine and it seems they weren't really all that keen on the 432-R getting any particularly trick parts too soon after the GT-Rs. In fact, it was a bit of a strange situation for the Murayama-based group to be prepping the 432-Rs at all; There was a certain amount of competition between the Murayama ( PMCS ) team and the Oppama ( SCCN ) team, and this ultimately hampered the development of the PZR in race guise as it was a little lost between them ( you could say it was an Oppama body with a Murayama engine ). I don't want to talk this up too much, but it did happen and the works 432-R race cars probably could have been better had they not been forced to lag a little behind the works GT-Rs. In the end ( in fact, only mid-way through 1970 ) the decision was made to switch the works circuit race 432-Rs onto L24-based engines and bump them up into a different class of racing that could take advantage of the capacity increase. From then on the Oppama-based works team looked after them.

I think induction system was free for the Sports Prototype, GT and Touring Car classes that the works S20 engines were usually competing in ( as long as it was 'normal' aspiration rather than forced / boosted ) and therefore either carbs of FI could be used. There's nothing in the homologation papers with regard to the mechanical injection.

post-2116-14150822466318_thumb.jpg

A question came to me from looking through the parts catalog. It seems, several choices could be made either at the point of sale when the purchase/build order was filled in or sometime after the fact. Were there choices that could be made for the PZR model, including interchangeability of doors and rear fenders at the time of purchase? Nissan had to produce a minimum number of PZR model cars to qualify to go racing under the homologation regulations but did that prevent them from giving a "roadgoing PZR" customer a choice, when it came to the thickness of the sheet metal panels, etc? I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at the time or ask an original "roadgoing PZR" owner about their purchase experience. I could envision a salesman steering a customer away from the thinner skinned panels for practicality but I think more than likely, to meet the homologation rules, the cars were likely sold with the lightweight parts installed and the heavier pieces were just listed in the catalog as being interchangeable for future fitment information and sales availability.

Hi Ron,

I would have thought that anyone ordering a PZR new would have been buying into the whole ethos of the car as a 'spartan', lightweight driver's car. The lightweight body, plastic windows and cloth-covered, non-reclining FRP seats would have been a big part of that and I can only imagine him adding some 'essentials' like the heater/demister for example.

I would imagine that he didn't have a choice over whether to go with the lightweight panels ( especially the rear quarters and the roof ) if the PZR-specific bodies were already half made, or if there were a few complete cars already built. Officially there wasn't even a colour choice ( all the cars sold to the general public were 918 orange ) and if a customer wanted a few more bells and whistles he might as well have paid a little bit more and plumped for the 'ordinary' 432 with its 'Deluxe' spec.

I was too late to edit my last post. I had another look at the parts catalog and almost answered my own question. Two different part numbers are given and shown to be interchangeable for the rear fenders, both LH & RH sides. I was mistaken with the doors and front fenders though. It shows the PB model as having its own dedicated part numbers for these pieces. There must a simple reason for the two different part numbers for the rear fenders that escapes me.

In the C-236 parts list I can see:

78100-E7200 PANEL arse'Y - rear fender ( R.H. ) - PZR

78100-E8201 PANEL arse'Y - rear fender ( R.H. ) - PZR ( from C/# PS30-00402 )

78101-E7200 PANEL arse'Y - rear fender ( L.H. ) - PZR

78101-E8201 PANEL arse'Y - rear fender ( L.H. ) - PZR

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that this marks the changeover from solid, unvented rear pillars to the vented rear pillars. If they are for the PZR then they should be the thinner gauge steel pressings, or at least the earliest type would be. As we know from their chassis numbers, the PZRs sold to the genral public were all 'early' cars ( with unvented pillars ) - so perhaps the later part numbers were more a theoretical fitment should a car be ordered at that time...?

Interestingly, the works rally 240Zs that were made in the mid to late 1971 period - using much of the PZR's bodyshell pieces - used the solid, unvented PZR rear quarters, but had their pillar vent holes cut out by hand and the vented 'Z' pillar emblems attached ( to make them look more 'up to date' no doubt ). They retained the FRP tailgates complete with twin vents and all the venting paraphernalia inside them. So they ended up with vented quarteers and vented tailgates.

I think the most effective part of making the car to be super light is

deleted components from normal Z432,Z432-R is probably 80kgm lighter than

normal Z432.

Here is a scan of comparison S30S, S30, PS30, PS30-SB, SR311.

You see Z432-R 960kg, Z432 1040kg.But there is an important note on the far right ," gas tank is full " .

If these cars are no gas, the weight would be 880kg for Z432-R, 992kg for Z432. (I used 1litter High octane is 800g roughly )

There is 112kg difference between them!! It is a lot weight deduction on Z432-R:bulb:

Stock Z432 is the heviest model amoung S30 family until 1973 .I am curious about 240ZG is 1010kg, this is too optimistic I think, G-nose is quite hevy.(my 240Z once on a scale, it was 1050kg with a 1/3 gas and all the original Bridgestone superspeed tires and hubcaps and tools) .

S20 engine is hevier than L24/L20(S20 199kg, L24 185kg).

Z432 & Z432-R has an alminum radiator, it will not make a big difference but it would have to be alminum to reduce weight as much as possible.

I know data from factory is not honest sometimes, but my 240Z's 1050kg is close and not so bad to the official weight, I have heard Ferrari or other supercars are much different from their official data.

kats

post-3193-14150822466913_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats

:classic:Excellent material Kats! I look forward to the translated book if you ever manage to fit that task into your busy schedule. I am extremely grateful for having this site and such knowledgeable members willing to share and offer their expert tutelage.

Thanks Alan, that sounds like the only plausible explanation. I had briefly thought of that being the reason for having two sets of interchangeable part numbers. The copy of the parts catalog I have is dated March of '71 and doesn't have a chassis number "from" or date associated with the part numbers for that model. The only other things I could think of were, the antenna hole, which has no business being there and the gas filler but it is always on the RH side.

I can not begin to realize the amount of research, parts hunting and fabrication you are doing for your project. My hat is off to you sir!:cool:

post-12938-14150822467887_thumb.jpg

Edited by geezer

Hi kats,

Thanks for your reply on the brake booster. Makes sense when you think about it. I have to get out of thinking in street car mode. The Z432 was build for the purpose of racing.

Great info btw. I've learnt a lot about this car on this thread.

Chas

EuroDat,

Just to clarify: This thread is primarily about the PS30-SB 'Fairlady Z432-R.

The PS30 Fairlady Z432 had the 'normal' Master Vac brake booster and pedal, whilst the PS30-SB Fairlady Z432-R was the one without the Master Vac brake booster, and had a brake pedal with a greater leverage ratio to suit.

Edited by HS30-H

Nissan's first official works race Z was something of a star, as it was used for the covers of several 432-R related publications.

This was the car that took part in the 'Zen Nihon Suzuka 300km' race at Suzuka Circuit on 18th January 1970, driven by SCCN works team driver Moto Kitano. Sadly, it was to be car's first and last race. Forced to spin to avoid another car blocking the track, Kitano was T-boned by a following car and was lucky to avoid serious injury. The car was a banana-shaped write-off.

Pictured: Nissan 'Yellow Book' Race & Rally Manual for the 432-R, front page of the Nissan Sports Options parts list for the 432-R, and the 'no.68' works 432-R race car in the old Suzuka Circuit paddock before that fateful 18th January 1970 race.

Alan T.

post-2116-1415082247172_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150822471872_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150822472068_thumb.jpg

Thank you geezer and EuroDat:)

Alan,I too am big fan of the red Z432-R,it is the best looking Z432-R for me.

I visited Ando san a few years ago (his shop TA auto and him were featured in Discovery channel "Retoro car kings" recently)

this tribute car is so cool, not having thin body panel but it has repro acrylic glasses and repro 100L gas tank,also manythings in interior are his work too.

kats

Edited by kats

Alan,

I have a question about this race option plug wire and fittings, were these featuring applied on the #68 Z432-R too?

Nissan R382 (1969 Japan grandprix winner) has got the special wire rubber cap and valve cover modify to prevent falling off wire due vibration.

A well known shop in Tokyo, Victory 50 has been doing this modification on S20 engine for the customers who want racing feelings.

kats

post-3193-14150822474786_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822475025_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822475155_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822475281_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822475407_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822475555_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats