IGNORED

240z rebuild / restoration right down to the shell

grannyknot

I had to scroll through the beginning of this thread just to convince myself this was the same car. I can't believe how quickly you completed your project. By way of comparison, I started about the same time you did. I decided to do a staged resto-mod. I did the front and rear suspension and the brakes. Drove it a few times and then decided to just tear it down and finish the job. I am only just getting ready to put mine up on the rotisserie.

On a side note, which air dam are you using? I like it.

OK, No more waiting for me to drive to your place.

get over here with that car, let's go for a rip.

centennial st.

holland landing.

your car looks great Chris.

way to go for staying focused and keeping on track. what a great time of year to get a new car on the road.

salt is gone and the weather is perfect temps.

still looking forward to seeing it in person.

Bart, I know where you mean, the original doors have had a lot of work done to them over the years but I didn't find that out until I had scraped all that paint and putty off. I should have just tried to source 2 better doors to start with. Both of the front fenders are new Nissan steel and although Nissan isn't producing them anymore, they are very good quality repops

they may bulge out a bit too far or the doors have been worked so they are flatter then they should be. If you look at the pics with this in mind, the back of the new front fenders are bowing out toward the viewer and that is what is making the shadow of gap. The gap is larger then it should be but it's in a direction that is 90* to what is usual.

Didn't mean to go on so long but I spent a lot of time trying to correct but couldn't.

Edited by grannyknot

Bart, I know where you mean, the original doors have had a lot of work done to them over the years but I didn't find that out until I had scraped all that paint and putty off. I should have just tried to source 2 better doors to start with. Both of the front fenders are new Nissan steel and although Nissan isn't producing them anymore, they are very good quality repops

they may bulge out a bit too far or the doors have been worked so they are flatter then they should be. If you look at the pics with this in mind, the back of the new front fenders are bowing out toward the viewer and that is what is making the shadow of gap. The gap is larger then it should be but it's in a direction that is 90* to what is usual.

Didn't mean to go on so long but I spent a lot of time trying to correct but couldn't.

That's what the door hinge shims are for! ;)

That's what the door hinge shims are for! ;)

What he said:)

It took an experienced body man a few hours of cussing and shimming to get it right.

The new fenders are not identical so it takes some imagination to get all the gaps good.

By the way that car looks great and we need to meet up somewhere again so I can see it.

Casey

Edited by Casey_z

After seeing the car in person, I completely agree.

the car looks great, and drives even better.

when you guys get together, let me know, I'm looking for a s30 cruise anytime.

What he said:)

It took an experienced body man a few hours of cussing and shimming to get it right.

The new fenders are not identical so it takes some imagination to get all the gaps good.

By the way that car looks great and we need to meet up somewhere again so I can see it.

Casey

• 1 year later...

Wow, it has been a while since I updated my build, hope I can remember everything.

I have mounted triple SK carbs, some big air horns and loving the extra power and beautiful induction sound.

I have also added a Clifford equal length header, a 123Ignition digital distributor that is a great product that I have only begun to play with and powder coated the valve cover and strut brace.

Last winter I installed 4ga power and ground cables and a pony panel to handle the 140amp alternator, sound system, electric rad fan (that I have now deleted) and a HD wiring harness for the head lights.

So went from this,

post-26437-14150830158093_thumb.jpg

to this,

post-26437-14150830159345_thumb.jpg

and before the ramair filters went on,

post-26437-14150830159808_thumb.jpg

Please disregard the attached pic of the package going to Bart.

It's the ZTherapy carbs I sold him and I mis-labeled the pic and can't figure out how to delete it.

Chris

post-26437-14150830158342_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150830158687_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150830159587_thumb.jpg

Did you use aerosol spray glue for the headliner? i've not had any luck getting mine to stick with

the aerosol stuff. next i'll try that stuff in the can with a roller. I think part of my problem is the

padding is rotted but i've heard upholsterers say that aerosol stuff doesnt hold. How is yours

holding up? did the wrinkles flatten out?

Edited by hr369