IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

Okay, so today I got some more things done again. Currently only thing I'm waiting for is the T/C rods.

I got the old steering rack rubbers replaced with polythurane ones, from the kit from Prothane ( Z-partshouse ).

I got the new waterpump in, new v-belt, and also did a rebuild on the alternator and gave it some new bearings ( the old ones where noisy ), cleaned everything up etc..

New washer tank with new motor from Mitsuba, new oil filled coil from Hitachi, etc.

Hope to get it back on it's wheels coming 2 weeks.

303i9t2.jpg

2hmd1fs.jpg

e6dhcx.jpg

qo62yd.jpg

jzxgk4.jpg

51ev0m.jpg

sy9nkn.jpg

2nvyw05.jpg

One side done, torqued the wheel bearings down the factory specs according to the FSM. Will torque all the bolts from the suspension down when the car is under load on the ground, now they are just hand tight. The other side I can't finish, because the outer wheel bearing is molted to the damn axle ! I need to get a new axle first :(

2jdmc93.jpg

The horror:

rit9c3.jpg

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Before I attempted to replace the front strut and axle...

I would take a cut off wheel - on a die grinder - and cut the bearing's metal shell in half. It should then peel off the axle. You might need to then use a wire brush to clean up the bearing seat on the axle.

The metal used in the bearing shell is not near as hard, nor strong as that used in the axle. Chances are good that the axle is fine - you just need to remove the old bearing metal.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Bart,

Let me know if you still need me to pull the part. I think I would try cutting the race off first. You have nothing to lose from salvaging the existing spindle and Carl is right they are very hard.

Charles

I tried what Carl said, cut in half, but still won't come off, I tried everything.. torches... hammers...pullers.. grinders.. f_cking thing is welded to the damn axle !

Charles I send you PM .. if you can send it to there would be nice ! I will pay you for the costs don't worry.

@ Carl: allready pulled everything from under the car... so it's easier to replace with a good axle now..