IGNORED

Retractable Seat Belt Restoration for my 1972

JLPurcell

Jerry

I really like the fact that you are doing some of the stuff that we go through on most of these jobs and the zinc plating is one of those thankless jobs that take a long time and many trips and ways of cleaning to get something usable. There have been multiple ways to try and get the zinc done right and I have to say I am envious of those who say well I just took it in all rusted and dirty and greasey and they gave it back to me all clean and perfect for almost nothing. Not here where I am and not anytime recently for sure. Your parts came out great looking and it sounds like you are getting to know what I go through to try and do this. All the best and great story. By the way be really careful with the super thin springs that make the retractors work when trying to fix the last couple sets your included they will keep snapping off as you try to coil them to tighten them up.

Les

Les,

I am actually enjoying this process. I am getting ready to go out to the garage after this post and wire brush another batch of parts for future plating. I still have not gone through all of my boxes of parts from past parts car strips. I thought I understood how tough it was when you said you were wire brushing parts and every nut and bolt for plating but to think about how tough it is and do actually do it is like calling a pit bull spirited then being attacked by one. But as I am anal-retentive seeing the end product makes it fun. Thanks again Les for all of your hard work on my car, you are truly an artist. I will give you a call in the next few days so we can catch up. JLP

For the most part extra parts. I am now looking for another parts car. I want to take another Z apart and photo and categorize fastener / finish / location for all fasteners in the car then replate all of them to have a complete set. I believe that the lock washer were integrated into the fasteners in 72 prior to that the washers and lock washers were loose. Anyone weigh in on that? JLP

Nice, Jerry. I really didn't think they were for your '72. I think you are exactly correct. Although I don't know the cutoff date, some newer hardware does seem to have capture washers on many fasteners.

I have also found that some newer hardware, even with the correct part numbers, may have a different profile, ie., indented? head as opposed to flat heads with correct torque strength number. Having some of those early fasteners replated in the correct yellow zinc (also very anal-retentive, here) stand out like little jewels; very rewarding.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

Would it be possible to put a pile of fasteners in a rock tumbler or something similar to "polish" fasteners in bulk? I ran into something like that when trying to remember how to polish a penny for my daughter:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/74491-coin-cleaning-tests-wich-one-works-best-bulk-cleaning.html

If it worked you could prep a few hundred/thousand fasteners for plating with minimal effort

Would it be possible to put a pile of fasteners in a rock tumbler or something similar to "polish" fasteners in bulk? I ran into something like that when trying to remember how to polish a penny for my daughter:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/74491-coin-cleaning-tests-wich-one-works-best-bulk-cleaning.html

If it worked you could prep a few hundred/thousand fasteners for plating with minimal effort

Yes, but be sure to degrease them thoroughly first. I was thinking of trying the tumbler some time and following up with naval jelly to make sure I got out all of the rust hiding in the threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Seat belts sent back to Ssnake Oyl for completion of restoration.

With my end of the restoration complete I sent the parts back to Ssnake Oyl for completion of the retractable seat belt restoration. I, at their request, put one retractor back together as to give them a example for their final assembly.

post-7454-14150822436045_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150822432962_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150822433677_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150822434267_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150822434849_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150822435446_thumb.jpg

Jerry,

Just an FYI. I had the seat belts (5) for my 69 GTO Conv done by Ssnake Oyl about 15 years ago. Came out fantastic and still are show quality today. Pricey but top quality work that I couldn't have done myself.

Nice job showing the steps you are taking.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I took some quick photos of the Left Belt now that it is complete. I will post some better photos when I get some more time.:disappoin I am pleased with the outcome but the project was a bit expensive.:ermm: Let me know what you think.

post-7454-14150822742375_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150822743055_thumb.jpg

post-7454-1415082274371_thumb.jpg

Edited by JLPurcell

is there a slot on the male connection for the shoulder belt? i don't see one in the pics.

OK, explain to me how you caught that. I didn't until now. The connection for the shoulder belt is originally under the belt webbing within the loop of webbing sewn to the male connection. You are correct they replaced my connections with the wrong style. I just got off the phone with them (Ssnake Oyl Products) and they wanted to debate with me that my belts did not have this feature. "They have photos". They took the photos of the belts before disassemble and you cannot see the "key hole" for the shoulder harness. I am sending them back for repair. I can see this becoming a problem, I am not going to accept these being taken apart and re-sewn. I want the webbing and the labels replaced along with the correct male connector.