IGNORED

Interior Ergonomics

HS30-H

Maybe they thought since the Americans were bigger people, with longer arms, it would be more ergonomic for them to reach over the other side of the tunnel!! ROFL

I still think it's cutting costs. To make me disbelieve that you'll have to specifically mention the other conversions they did from RHD to LHD ;)

Has anyone flipped the car over to see what mountings actually exist in the trans tunnel.

I would have thought it would have only been a minor change for the mounting hardware going right to left.

I'm doing this from memory as the good book are at home, but don't the cables meet and come the centre of the trans tunnel.

Is there provison for a mount on the LH side?

I await a call from the BBC...........over[but not out]

Originally posted by Alfadog

I still think it's cutting costs. To make me disbelieve that you'll have to specifically mention the other conversions they did from RHD to LHD ;)

Not sure on any of these points alpha, maybe there is no black or white answer as all we are doing is discussing a grey area.

Can anyone tell me where the bonnet release is on a LHD aed car?

If it's on the RH side then it's a question of money else.......:ermm:

tea & crumpets at 5 no doubt...

Originally posted by HS30-H

Did Nissan think that the USA / North American market customers ( being taller on average than their Japanese / Australian / NZ / British RHD-market counterparts ) would be happy to reach over to the other side of the trans tunnel to use the Handbrake / Emergency brake?

Hi Alan:

Maybe they just figured that we were WIDER than others, and the handbrake would jab us in the thigh if placed on the left-side of the trans tunnel?

Carl

I couldn't let this pass by.

Several Years ago I got the dash recovered.

Being curious I had a good look at it and realised how the "bits"could be swapped over from RH to LH, so there really isn't a LH dash or RH dash, just a dashe made of generic parts that could make either!

Gentlemen, ( Alfadog, Zedrally & Bambikiller ),

Thank you for your kind attention.

I've necked three large bottles of "ORION" beer since my last post ( an amazing find at my local supermarket - since it's brewed and bottled in Okinawa, Japan ) and I've toasted you all. CHEERS! ( hic! )......

Alfadog, I am NOT going to attempt to list the differences between RHD and LHD versions. Over here in the UK, there are quite a few cars that have been converted to RHD from relatively rust-free imported LHD shells. You would not BELIEVE what it takes to do this properly ( even the bracket that holds the windscreen washer bottle is different )...............

Zedrally - I believe that you are right, the Handbrake mountings on the bodyshell are relatively simple ( just a flat section and some captive nuts and stuff welded onto the tunnel ). The handle itself would need "handing" - but that's easy peasy in the scheme of things. There's no provision for the mount on the left side of the tunnel, but it would not be rocket science to put one on there ( like they did in those LHD rally cars ) and the challenge would be more cosmetic than anything else.

Bambikiller - you may well be right. Could it be that Nissan thought the USA / North American drivers needed more space? ( but I STILL think it does not get in the way on the RHD cars.... ).

Maybe this thread has run as long as its natural life. I don't think we will be able to get any closer to the truth on what Nissan's original intention was ( although I've met Mr Matsuo and he told me what he thought ). I'm pretty sure that Nissan thought they could get away without "handing" the Handbrake for the LHD market ( I'm sure that the RHD shells were engineered with no compromises, and that the LHD shells were in no way a "definitive" or "datum" version - as some have claimed ).

Cheers all!

Alan T.

( ps. Carl - is Pleasanton anything to do with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" by the Monkees? ).

Originally posted by Zedrally

so there really isn't a LH dash or RH dash, just a dashe made of generic parts that could make either!

Sure, the "guts" can be switched - but the complexity of the actual dash frame and covering is pretty frightening isn't it? The wiring loom is handed too, so to do a full conversion you need the correct LHD or RHD loom for your application.

Cheers!

( opening bottle no.4 before ascending the wooden hill to Bedfordshire )...

Alan T.

Entire post snipped by Carl)

( ps. Carl - is Pleasanton anything to do with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" by the Monkees? ).

Hi Alan:

No, Pleasanton has nothing to do with The Monkee's or any of their songs. Pleasanton is just a "cow town" tha has turned suburban over the last 30 years, and is now a refuge for many people who lived in San Francisco and Oakland California before many of the businesses fled those Urban areas for the "greener pastures" (cheaper land values) of Suburbia.

I believe that Britain has "SAFEWAY" grocery stores? The headquarters of their former parent company is now here in Pleasanton.

Enjoy another Orion for me!

Regards

Carl

>>>>I am NOT going to attempt to list the differences between RHD and LHD versions. Over here in the UK, there are quite a few cars that have been converted <<<<<

Alan, Alan...Alan....(And I have enjoyed this evening a nice Bombay Sapphire, medium, up, olive...a nice bottle of cold Ozeki [with some mediocre sushi] and am working on a very tall Reidel of CA syrah)...I just CAN NOT believe this statement out of you! Is should be VERY SIMPLE!!!!! Are you somehow forgetting all the identical right/left parts that came off the ZERO monocoque? In fact, I'll bet you a bottle of 2003 Fairlady the button in the end of the handbrake is IDENTICAL in both a RHD and LHD S30.

To Datsun genius!

steve

Did Nissan think that the USA / North American market customers ( being taller on average than their Japanese / Australian / NZ / British RHD-market counterparts ) would be happy to reach over to the other side of the trans tunnel to use the Handbrake / Emergency brake?

Maybe it's not a question of the yanks being bigger and therefore able to reach over, earlier threads mentioned some saying that the handbrake chafed their thighs when driving RHD versions.

Therefore perhaps the US cars were designed not for bigger but larger owners ?

So where is the bonnet release on LHD Zs ?