IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

While browsing the web for a few nice deals, i stumbled upon something which finally arrived at my door today. A huge Datsun 240Z Banner / Flag with a nice Japanese theme, showing some Cherry blossoms and snowy montains along with japanese characters (still need to translate them). 
P1220394-Kopie.jpg

A german dealer who sold it on ebay ads told me he bought it at an oldtimer swapmeet in the Netherlands. A bit of research revelealed that the graphics once were made for a 30 year celebration by an insurrance company called Carole Nash. The original wallpaper is still available for download on their website: https://www.carolenash.com/insideclassics/classic-car-news/carole-nash-celebrates-beauty-classic-design-global-classics/

datsun-240z-poster-Kopie.jpg

Well. not sure how it ended up on a flag in netherlands. But i'm more than happy to have it decorating my soon-to-be-finnished Garage, where the 240Z will go ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upon closer inspection of the grille, i realized the already some rust has appeared at the places where matal rubs on metal:
P1220457-Kopie.jpg

So i decided to better have all the non-aluminum pieces completely disassembled and zinc plated. That's why i remoced all the rivets
P1220454-Kopie.jpg

P1220456-Kopie.jpg

While doing so, i decided to redrill some of the rivet holes:
P1220327-Kopie.jpg

Will have to strip the primer, hammer a few small dents straight and then have it zinc plated with the next load of parts...

On 12/11/2018 at 8:57 AM, JDMjunkies.ch said:

While browsing the web for a few nice deals, i stumbled upon something which finally arrived at my door today. A huge Datsun 240Z Banner / Flag with a nice Japanese theme, showing some Cherry blossoms and snowy montains along with japanese characters (still need to translate them). 
P1220394-Kopie.jpg

A german dealer who sold it on ebay ads told me he bought it at an oldtimer swapmeet in the Netherlands. A bit of research revelealed that the graphics once were made for a 30 year celebration by an insurrance company called Carole Nash. The original wallpaper is still available for download on their website: https://www.carolenash.com/insideclassics/classic-car-news/carole-nash-celebrates-beauty-classic-design-global-classics/

?

To add to the discussion and flash some "eye candy" I think any kind of poster/banner, whether factory or aftermarket, is a nice addition to a garage wall.  I have everything from Studebaker dealership showroom banners to factory Porsche racing posters.  I even have the full size highway billboard sheets for a late '60s Fiat, but no walls big enough for it..  I'm amazed what dealerships will give away if you ask nicely.  As part of the sale deal, I picked up a large dealership display for the '83 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe I once bought.  The local Infiniti service department manager gave me a large G37 convertible wall display after about five years of asking every time I went in for service.

Although not factory, the banner below will eventually hang in the garage.  It's 7' X 2' and has grommets for hanging or nailing.

DatsunZ.jpg

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Seven inches by two inches?  That's awful small said my girlfriend. :ph34r:

I say average. :unsure:

Oops.  7' X 2'.......and as you may have replied to your girlfriend, "It might not be too big around, but it's real short"  LOL

Cliff, thanks for being a better proof reader than I am.

Dennis

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, psdenno said:

To add to the discussion and flash some "eye candy" I think any kind of poster/banner, whether factory or aftermarket, is a nice addition to a garage wall.  I have everything from Studebaker dealership showroom banners to factory Porsche racing posters.  I even have the full size highway billboard sheets for a late '60s Fiat, but no walls big enough for it..  I'm amazed what dealerships will give away if you ask nicely.  As part of the sale deal, I picked up a large dealership display for the '83 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe I once bought.  The local Infiniti service department manager gave me a large G37 convertible wall display after about five years of asking every time I went in for service.

Although not factory, the banner below will eventually hang in the garage.  It's 7' X 2' and has grommets for hanging or nailing.

DatsunZ.jpg

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!

Dennis

Wow, love it.

While having all the grille pieces disassembled, i thought i better take advantage of it and straighten all the pieces before i have them zinc-plated.
So i pulled out my best (nonexistant) panel-beater skills and hammered the parts as straight as i could. A few examples:

Before:
DSC_2873-Kopie.jpg

After:
DSC_2874-Kopie.jpg

Before:
DSC_2875-Kopie.jpg

After:
DSC_2876-Kopie.jpg

Before:
DSC_2877-Kopie.jpg

After:
DSC_2878-Kopie.jpg.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I randomly seem to stumble on nice stuff by accident. I always dreamed about triple Mikunis for my Z, but i always felt in the current situation with the house going on i save them for buying them later, even with rapidly rising prices. Then one day i accidently came accross these nice carbs for sale on an Austrian ads website. A bit of negotiation, a payment and they arrived here today:
P1220580-Kopie.jpg

They are genuine japan made Mikuni (Solex) PHH40 S5 (5-screw) carbs. You might wonder why PHH40? I don't plan to run any crazy numbers, so the PHH40 should be nice with my calculations. we'll see. i think i can swap them for PHH44 when i figure out that i was wrong in future. The deal was too god to say now. it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

P1220587-Kopie.jpg

They have been beautifully restored. Probably will zinc plate all the bolts but not sure yet:
P1220583-Kopie.jpg

It even gets better: They're fully restored, and came with a free set of intake side gaskets and beautiful velocity stacks.
P1220582-Kopie.jpg

After all i'm very happy with my purchase and i think my engine setup comes along nicely with the FET Intake manifold and the Kakimoto valve cover. The whole engine side of things is still on a bit on hold, but when i find good parts like this, i just have to save them for the future ?
P1220586-Kopie.jpg

• Like 2