Rebuild a distributor? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rebuild a distributor?

Featured Replies

It appears that the supply of reasonably-priced rebuilt 240 distributors has dried-up (lots of people advertise the < $100 Cardone rebuilt ones but, as far as I have been able to determine, they really aren't in stock). So I am wondering if there is such a thing as a distributor rebuild kit? The usual suspects don't seem to offer one.

Also, I went looking through the forums to see if anyone had ever documented a distributor refurbishment but I didn't find any. Anyone have any easy-to-follow instructions?

Thanks!

Blue should have a distributer rebuild guide on his site.

Is RockAuto out of stock, too?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I was on a similar hunt and found a lightly used points distributor for my 240z on eBay for $45 shipped. I spoke to Cardone and they said that I could send in my current distributor via Napa and they would rebuild it...only problem is it takes 8+ weeks!! I'd suggest piecing together what you need.

  • Author

I'll give Rock Auto a call tomorrow. They have it on their website (but then again, so does O'Reilly's). Rock's price is about twice what O'Reilly's advertised but, if they actually have one, it might be worth the difference in labor saved.

Thanks everyone!

Why no new distributors? MSA had them last year I think. You might be able to (haven't tried) order one from Japan. Saw a Star Road ad in Oct. issue of Nostalgic Hero magazine for a new Z dist., 30,450 yen or $389.89. http:/www.starroad.co.jp. Go to their site to check it out and click on Contact to send an email. Google toolbar translator helps. Or call them at 03-5668-5675, fax 03-5668-5676.

We have a killer rebuilder in Portland that does our rebuilds and recurves of the electronic distributors.

Philbin Rebuilt Products Inc.

info@philbingroup.com

503-287-1718

www.philbingroup.com

Very reasonably price as well

I'll second the opinion on Philbin. They refurbished my wiper motor for a very fair price and did good work. Worth a call.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Just an update - I ended up sending my distributor to Advanced Distributor and they did a really awesome job on the rebuild. I have one question though. They sent it back with a little spade connector attached to the top screw that holds on the vacuum control. Their note said that it was for a ground wire. I looked in the Shop manual for a 1973 Z and it shows no such connector. Was AD mistaken on that? If not, how should I run a ground wire for it?

You could simply run a wire from the connector to one of the many ground locations on the inner fender or the engine itself. It certainly can't hurt anything by connecting it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.