IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

Made two more attempts at reproducing a decent insert that failed.

I'm working on getting access to another 3D printer to make a "positive" from polyurethane, from which I could make a soft silicone mold.

I looked into having a custom prototyping shop print one, but the cost was prohibitive.

• 4 months later...

Get over itself? The thing is, Nissan doesn't need to do anything. Are you suggesting Nissan tools up for tiny production runs of parts for cars they made 40 years ago? That's never going to happen.

It's all about the market. Compare the production numbers of Mustangs to the S30 and you'll have the answer of why they're better supported.

With that said, there are reproductions being made for plenty of Z parts, just look at MSA's site. I don't think Nissan is stopping anyone. I also don't think a $200 shift knob on ebay keeps people away from these cars. Frankly, the cheap price of entry into the Z-world reflects the opposite and thus the Z populace generally seems notoriously cheap (compared to other vintage car owners).

I wouldn't mind prices of Z parts going up at all, it'll make my hoard more valuable. LOL

I wouldn't mind prices going up to...

• 2 weeks later...
Was this made by anyone here? I ran into this ebay auction by chance... Wish there were more pictures. I haven't pulled the trigger... yet.

Datsun 240Z 260z 280z Reproduction Shift Knob 5 Speed Walnut | eBay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72407[/ATTACH]

I've seen that and whilst it's would pass as original to most, I feel it's not quite there. The lower metal pice at the base of it isn't the same size or shape. The thickness of it is different to the original. So really the only thing it has in common with an OEM 1 is the 5 speed button design.

Price wise though it's very reasonable.

The 5spd. emblem on the reproduction is flat on top - the originals were rounded - spherical in shape.

The font is OK - but the spacing and color are wrong.

The emblem on the original uses a creamy white - almost very light gray - the repro is bright white

The repro is a bit smaller in diameter as is the emblem itself.

I would say "the chrome piece on the bottom of the original" is missing completely on the repro.{that could be fixed using an older 4spd.knob base}.

Nonetheless for $95.00 if someone steals it - you won't have lost an original.

Yes - I bought one..

FWIW,

Carl B.

The 5spd. emblem on the reproduction is flat on top - the originals were rounded - spherical in shape.

The font is OK - but the spacing and color are wrong.

The emblem on the original uses a creamy white - almost very light gray - the repro is bright white

The repro is a bit smaller in diameter as is the emblem itself.

Nonetheless for $95.00 if someone steals it - you won't have lost an original.

Yes - I bought one..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Also, the shift pattern emblem is cloisonné (enameled metal), not plastic, as the originals were on the early cars. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it when it arrives. Certainly looks like a viable alternative at a fairly reasonable price.

Dennis

Hi Dennis:

It arrived a week or go ago. My comments were based on looking at it when writing.

As someone else said earlier - most people wouldn't notice it as not being original. Another very nice member here gave me an original - and have to admit that I didn't like leaving it in the BRE Z at shows, when left unattended. Thus my comment about the possibility of someone stealing it. Believe it or not, Mr. Brock gave me a BRE Key Fob/ring for the Z when we were at Amelia Island. I made the mistake of leaving it in the car at another event a few months later - and someone stole it. They were kind enough to leave the ignition key on the seat. {I didn't take the ignition key - as you can't start the car without the key to kill switch, which I always put in my pocket. I also carry a spare kill switch key in the tow truck}.

As they say; "there is always one".

FWIW

Carl B.

Hi Dennis:

Wood grain and color are very close. The finish is smoother, more highly polished on the original. The shape is pretty much the same - only with a slightly small diameter on the repro.. The original 5spd. knob is a little larger diameter than most of the early 4spd.knobs. If I had to guess, I'd guess they used an early 4spd. knob as the example/model. The size difference really isn't much - but of course your hand/fingers can feel it.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

I bought one as well. I am thinking about getting a watch glass or jewellery "cameo dome" to put over the shift pattern to replicate the domed shape of the original. Hopefully one with a diameter of 1 inch (25.4mm) will be a friction fit to avoid signs of glue. Any thoughts?