IGNORED

What is the most stock-sounding exhaust?

kjohnson2444

OK. In an effort to just have "something", I went to a local muffler shop and they installed a stock-looking round muffler that is a little larger than the original (they said everything else was OK). It is too quiet. It sounds like a Prius. Well, maybe not that quiet. I'm going to live with this for a while and see if I like it.

I've got 2 stock exhaust systems that are almost like new.....one with 36,000 original miles. I tried to get them to MikeB, but they're too big to ship. $125.00 each to anyone that can pick them up......if that helps. Each has all parts from down pipe to tip. Guy

Edited by Diseazd

• 1 month later...
OK. In an effort to just have "something", I went to a local muffler shop and they installed a stock-looking round muffler that is a little larger than the original (they said everything else was OK). It is too quiet. It sounds like a Prius. Well, maybe not that quiet. I'm going to live with this for a while and see if I like it.

If you decide you do not like it and a 2.25" dia. system is in your future, I have a Borla stainless steel muffler available at a very reasonable price. See the attached drawing for dimensions. It has one little problem. A tech mistakenly welded a flange on the discharge end. The flange just needs to be cut off and a tip added. If you decide to go with a 2.50" dia. system, I also have Borla S.S. components available for a complete system. The muffler dimensions are the same as the 2.25" muffler. The 2.50" system is available as shown in the photo or as individual items.

Fixitman

post-16252-14150821462388_thumb.jpg

Borla-Muffler40652.pdf

• 1 year later...
My original exhaust is sorely in need of replacement. Is there a muffler and pre-muffler available that replace the original with a stock look and sound?

I don't remember what the stock exhaust sounded like (I did own a '73 in '82!), but on a 2.5" exhaust, I just put a "Meineke" 24 inch resonator (4024005S, $60) just aft of the headers, and a Flowmaster (12514310) DBX Muffler in and it sounds absolutely awesome. Not very loud at idle or when not pushing it, but gives that wonderful sound under load. I highly recommend this combination!

The resonator has a spiral of curved scoops inside, and we installed it with the scoops grabbing into the flow. They said that gives a little more dampening, and that is what I wanted... btw, Meineke did an excellent job of bending pipe and welding - all for $180. I supplied the Flowmaster from Amazon ($150).

Stephen