IGNORED

What is the most stock-sounding exhaust?

kjohnson2444

• 2 weeks later...

Might very well be. I found the part numbers on a website and checked an online parts dealer who said the parts were available. Before ordering, I visited my local Nissan dealer who also had the part numbers with prices in his system. I am waiting for the online dealer to confirm the order and I may very well find them NLA. Here's hoping.

The 280Z exhaust doesn't quite fit directly. Slightly larger diameter pipe, and a little different in the outlet area.

I've seen occasional NOS 240Z pieces on eBay, but not often, and rarely the whole thing.

But Keith, how much of your current system is bad? The hardest part to replace now is the downpipe. If your downpipe is still OK, I'd look into a repro rear muffler from Jay at JDM Car Parts, and then have the rest replicated at a local exhaust shop. Shouldn't be too hard to find a similar looking resonator, and the pipe can all be custom bent. Remember that the original pipe was quite small by today's standards, around 1 5/8" I believe, which has a considerable effect on the sound. If you "upgrade" to larger pipe, expect more noise.

Arne, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure my downpipe is fine. On the muffler, the chrome tip actually broke off in my hand the other day and it became much louder. I don't want the car to be "loud", but I do want it to sound "good". I have an Altima SE-R (VQ35DE V6) that is my daily driver and it has an amazing exhaust note. It idles quietly, but has a nice low rumble as you drive, and gets menacingly loud if you get on it. I wish the 240z could sound like that. I've thought about a 14X7 round Magnaflow (14715) for the muffler, and a 22X4 Magnaflow (10435) for the pre-muffler with 2.25" pipe.