IGNORED

Why I Don't Love My Subaru BRZ - Yet.

Carl Beck

Interesting to compare this review - with the Personality of your 240Z. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that they were bored with their 240Z.

In effect I think the owner of this BRZ is really just talking about the "fun" of Driving. Something we all feel that the 240Z offers just as much today as it did when it was new.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I posted on Hybridz about driving a Rousch Mustang and how I was unimpressed - it's all about the DRIVING experience. The mustang was fast, loud, comfy, and unconnected to the road.

I have owned several subarus and they are more connected than most cars. My 1996 impreza handles amazing for a worn out beater. Still feel connected with this car

A few comments: (That granted, I should have posted at the video..)

1. It is always bad form to "talk" with your hands, but it is really bad form to do so when you are DRIVING!!!

(Use you mouth to talk, use your hands to steer the CAR!)

2. Does anyone really beleve that this kid passed over a GTR ($90k+) to buy a BRZ? ($25k maybe)

(Does he have a rich relative?)

3. Everyone who reviews the BRZ/FR-S comments about the junk tires. They are a Michelin low rolling resistance tire

that are apparently on the car to get the fuel economy numbers they need for CAFE. Road and Track replaced them

with real tires, and it took over 2 seconds off the car's lap time on their test track. I doubt that Subaru put them on there

to make the car more exciting.

4. He thinks the car isn't exciting? Have him turn the traction and stability control off and drive it in the snow. That will get

his pulse elevated I am sure. I personally question if 25% of people on the road today could drive a rear wheel drive

in the snow without those features.

(I can, and have a good time doing it, but not in the Z because I fear the rust monster.)

As one member of our local club said: If you can't drive it sideways, you have no business driving at all!

I give the reviewer credit for taking 10:13 to say what he could have said in 00:13.

"I'm going 35mph and there's no drama"

No $hit Sherlock. I don't care if you are in a BRZ or a ACR Viper, on public roads there shouldn't be any drama.

"The car doesn't have any soul, any personality. I was considering a GT-R but didn't get it because it doesn't have any personality"

Ahh, yeah right.

A well balanced car communicates to the driver all the time; whether droning down the highway or flogging it on your favorite back road. My Z(s), MR2, 330CSi, CRX always told me what they were doing and what type of road surface we were driving. Even my Silverado communicates with me...I may not like the message...but I know where it's at. In my wife's Accord or Caravan, "mum's the word". Drama and communication are two totally different experiences.

Perfection doesn't make a car soulless our boring, not listening the what it has to say it what is what makes it unsatisfying to drive.

From everything I've read, the BRZ/86 has diarrhea of the mouth. It's always communicating. I don't want to drive one yet because I'm 99.9% sure I wont be able to leave the dealership without signing on the bottom line.

Interesting to compare this review - with the Personality of your 240Z. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say that they were bored with their 240Z.

In effect I think the owner of this BRZ is really just talking about the "fun" of Driving. Something we all feel that the 240Z offers just as much today as it did when it was new.

FWIW,

Carl B.

If you looked at the video, you'd notice he posted an update entitled "Why I Now Love My Subaru BRZ!"

Out of the dozens of reviews I've read no one has come to the same conclusion as he did in that earlier video.

As someone who is selling their Z to buy a BRZ, I'm confident in my decision. Having test driven one, I can tell you it's not hard to love.

From everything I've read, the BRZ/86 has diarrhea of the mouth. It's always communicating.

Haha, love it!

Edited by JonnyRock

I love any car that can drive for thousands of miles withought needing a wrench, is comfortable and not too thirsty.

I turned off to that guy after around 60 seconds, but flicked to the end to see if anything actually happened, apart from his flapping mouth. :sick:

Edited by olzed