IGNORED

Practicality of daily driving a z (and safety)

JacktheRiffer

My Z was unstable and twitchy until I replaced most of the front end including ball joints, tie-rod ends, and especially the sway bar links and bushings. As well as the rear links, bushings, and struts. It was undrivable as purchased, until I replaced the rear struts.

The thing that would make ANY early car 100% safer would be an airbag system.

Good tires and brakes go without saying, just saying....

That and removing the cellphone.

The number one saftey addition to any car, but a sports car in perticular, is a good set of driving skills. I advise everyone to take an advanced driving course, you will learn things that you would have never thought of otherwise. It also provides an air of confidence and makes the drive more fun.

Roll bars and a 5 point harness seem like overkill, if you'll excuse the expression. What kind of daily driving do you plan on doing - demolition derby, NYC taxi driver? Certainly a "circle of safety" is important, but good driving skills and a watchful eye are probably your best upgrade.

Dennis

In stock form any car from the early 70's leaves a lot to be desired from a safety perspective, but any car is safer than say a motorcycle.

That’s nonsense, I’ve ridden motorcycles for over 3 decades and I can tell you that on a motorcycle can maneuver your way out of a crash much easier than you ever could in a car. If you know how to ride, or drive for that matter, the vehicle you’re in or on, your chances of getting into an accident are greatly reduced. Being aware of your surroundings and road conditions are crucial to your safety. I will submit that I would rather be in a car if someone slams into me, or if you slam into something, accidents do happen after all, but to say that motorcycles are more dangerous or less safe than a car is a totally uninformed misconception.

About 5 years ago I had a '77 280z that was my daily driver for about 3 months. It was well maintained and had AC which is a must in Texas 9 months out of the year. I did not have to drive very far each way to work, only about 7 miles or so. Even with a car in near top notch condition it got old after awhile. The overall brakes and handling really felt old school which was great when there was very little traffic around. But when driving and dealing with other drivers who most of the time were on their phone, doing their makeup, and just about anything else but driving it got a bit scary after awhile so I bought a 1989 Chevy SWB truck. So as others have said before, make sure everything on your car is up to scratch and keep an eagle eye out for everyone on the road.

Roll bars and a 5 point harness seem like overkill, if you'll excuse the expression. What kind of daily driving do you plan on doing - demolition derby, NYC taxi driver? Certainly a "circle of safety" is important, but good driving skills and a watchful eye are probably your best upgrade.

Dennis

I live in Oklahoma where drivers are really stupid. I would prefer overkill to being dead...thats a bit dramatic but you get my point.

Jack

I've been daily driving my 280z for just over 3 years now (August of 2009). To me the most important thing to have is driving skills. Anyone can kill themselves in any car no matter how safe by driving like an idiot. I'd agree that a rollcage might be overkill but if you want one go nuts. There's three bigs things I did to improve the Z. One I upgraded the stock suspension to a more agressive one. (it doesn't have to be updated but in good shape is a must). I updated all the busings to poly and I updated the head lights.(a lot of people over look this but it gets pretty damn dark out here in the desert).

Jan