IGNORED

Security system for my S30?

OneMaybe2

Hey, I'm new to the forum and just picked up my first 280z. Amazing car but I'm a bit worried for it since its parked outside most of the time. I was going to get a modern security system, but was unsure of how practical it would be to put a system into an older car (its a 1977). While looking at systems I found the Grant steering wheel quick release which seems to be pretty practical and would probably deter more people than the average security system. Do any of you have experience with either security method? Any suggestions?

Also, I have an ignition cut off switch already hidden in the car as well as cylinder key locks for the doors.

What are you talking about as far as what you want the "modern security system" to do? The ignition kill switch is usually fine as long as the thief doesn't hotwire the car under the hood. Killing the power to the fuel pump may be more effective. The thief would then have to figure out how to hotwire the fuel pump. IMHO, that would be more of a challenge.

Just be warned that many security systems will drain the battery, so if you don't drive your car often, expect to find a dead battery from time to time.

And just to clarify, Bryan was referring to Zs-ondabrain, aka Dave Irwin.

A fuel pump cut off switch is effective & inexpensive. I also pull the distributor rotor off when leaving the Z for an extended period. I've found that very few car thieves tend to carry a spare rotor for a '71 Datsun in their car stealing kit.

Also, choose your parking place wisely so the Z can't easily be towed or loaded on a flatbed.

Dennis

I had one of those battery draining alarms on the Z I used to have, it went off if it sensed a voltage change from the dome light coming on when a door was opened. It had a timer so you had to turn the ignition on within 30 seconds or whatever the timer was set for after you got in the car otherwise it would go off. I set it off myself a few times taking too long to get the ignition on but it did prevent one theft. It never false alarmed.