IGNORED

All's I need....

siteunseen

It looks great!

Just a suggestion - You might want to find a different rear lifting point. Once the engine is in, that bolt is right at the firewall and will be hard to reach and remove. One of my engines was missing the factory lifting eye, so I was able to make one from some scrap steel. I think it was a Z distributor base plate, but I can't remember.

Who needs the fat lady? I put my engine in by myself. Really not that hard. Just have to move slowly & carefully.

I made a rear lift point from 1/8" aluminum. Did the stress calcs and it was plenty strong.

I just pulled an engine and tranny combo a few days ago and attached at the exact same rear point that you did. I was able to connect a chain to that rear point while the engine and trans were still in the car, so you should be able to disconnect. It's a little tight, but it wasn't what I would consider "difficult". Worked for me, but YMMV.

What I would worry about the most, however, would be scratching the paint on the firewall with the chain as you're jerking the engine around on final approach. Might want to drape a towel over the cowl and down the firewall while you're messing in there.

PS - Your "All's I need..." reminds me of the "Send picture of boat and motor" joke. LOL

I'll try and figure out something else, maybe a sling of some type. I'm kinda nervous picking up the engine with the rear exhaust stud. I don't like the idea of putting all that weight on the head. Thank you for the warning, I would never have considered that.

The combustion forces on the head are magnitudes greater than the static weight of the engine. Each head bolt can literally support tons, let along a few hundred pounds.

I'll try and figure out something else, maybe a sling of some type. I'm kinda nervous picking up the engine with the rear exhaust stud. I don't like the idea of putting all that weight on the head. Thank you for the warning, I would never have considered that.

I think I understand not wishing to mess with the manifold studs right after you've completed the build. I can totally in vision a sling working.

My hesitation is simple. This is the 3rd 280z I've owned and all of them had a serious leak on that particular stud. I'm sure it's a coincidence but I will err on the side of caution this time around. Thank you for the kind words Johnny Haywire. When I bought the car it would pull like a tractor and then fall flat on it's arse. I knew the potential was there and after looking around the www.com and reading everything I could, I started removing the engine. I've found all kinds of small problems that would have gone unnoticed had I continued driving the car. Now I know I have a good strong heart beat I can start putting lipstick on my little blue pig.