IGNORED

240z Am radio sells for 635 bucks on ebay

hr369

My former Orange Cali Z came with one , replaced it with a c/d am/fm . It did not work that great,lots of static noise and the power unit was none op. I kept it ,so I might get it fix and Ebay it ;) The choke plate , real crazy $$$, WOW.

Edited by 72 OJ

It's hard to believe this is for real. Based on my stock Hitachi's pathetic lack of volume, distortion, non-stereo, and tendency for the knobs to fall off, I would have guessed it was worth about five bucks, if that. Maybe I'll think of it differently now.

It's hard to believe this is for real. Based on my stock Hitachi's pathetic lack of volume, distortion, non-stereo, and tendency for the knobs to fall off, I would have guessed it was worth about five bucks, if that. Maybe I'll think of it differently now.

Actually, you're spot on (except for the knobs). That is when you're comparing car stereo units. In fact, I don't know of a repair shop that wouldn't tell you that the repairs... ANY amount, would be more than the radio's worth.

The thing is, that when you're restoring a vehicle to factory new OEM condition, you really don't have much choice. Right now you can't give an engine's air pump away... you'd be laughed at. But to a true blue restoration, i.e. one with few if any modifications, that air pump is critical, without it you have an engine modification. Granted many judging bodies have allowances due to many of these items being so hard to source.

E

I have to comment that the 240Z community is fortunate that brand new parts are still available and that we are not generally faced with the costs of reconstructing a part to maintain originality. Unfortunately for the 'stock' guys, at least for me, the new part is sometimes not the same as the original as it is the superseded number.

Enrique, that car is without doubt radical. Why on earth would anyone want to build a CorZette?! Yes, a radical flavor with a slight hint of FiberFab Avenger.

Edited by 26th-Z

As they say on the Roadster site... Pictures or it didn't happen.

What year Roadster do you have?

E

http://www.rcdeng.com/1970Roadster.html

Got my pictures on-line. Page 6 of the roadster build has some pretty recent motor pics. Looks very nice, albeit, small.

And, not to totally deviate from the thread subject, The original AM radio in my ’70 still works well. Love that self-seeking feature. As Blue said….”it’s a bit spooky”…Japanese ghosts moving that self-seeking needle.

As they say on the Roadster site... Pictures or it didn't happen.

What year Roadster do you have?

E

I am horrible with pictures; I take pictures with my cellphone and never download them to anywhere. We have 2 projects going a resto-mod on a 71Z and taking an old 67 Roadster SCCA race car. The Roadster sat in a garage in the Denver area since 94 and and in my garage since 2010. I am currently putting on new springs and shocks on it. Both cars are a joy to work on.

I recently posted a glove-box FM Tuner / 8-Track combo in the classifieds section for anyone looking to add a period-correct accessory. Includes the brackets and instruction sheet. PM me if you're interested or have any questions.

http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php/product/7227/title/beltek-8-track-amp-fm-tuner/cat/4

I was watching the bidding on Ebay for the OEM radio. In the last 12 mintues, two bidders went nuts - leap-frogging the other's maximum bid. It reached insanity levels. I would like to have scooped up that radio, but not in that feeding frenzie.

I still need are really good radio, with seek function. But the price and quality both need to be right.

• 3 months later...

Late reply here. My 1970 has a dead radio and I thought maybe it was possible to get something completely modern (eg. with iPhone attachment) to hide under the dash to keep things looking stock. Regretfully Crutchfield has nothing I can see like this. A few other inquiries didn't help.