IGNORED

My Datsun Spirit L28 Build.

Forgive me for this Update. I posted this in my transmission VERY stiff thread, but I wanted to give closer here. The other one should be deleted.

I did something very simple. I removed the console, and both shifter boots. Then I applied some grease to the rod that the plastic cup on the end of the shift lever rests. That rod was dry. I put the transmission in first gear, and the applied grease. This way when I put it in reverse , it would twist and push the grease into the housing. The first application made a huge difference. IT felt like it was finally able to move smoothly. The gritty and sticky feeling was going and it dropped into and out of all the gears like a brand new car.

I also double checked my clutch engagement. It was a bit off. A few more turns on the adjustment screw gave me a more mid pedal clutch engagement, which feels far more normal and ensures full engagement of the clutch as well. It is raining now, so I will get the console back in tonight and give it a drive when it is over, but for the most part, it feels 100% fixed right now.

I think I was just being a bit of a hypochondriac with this one.

Leon, I had several Speilburg moments planned to video, but nothing until the rain stops, and nothing really sensational until after I get her broken in.

But for now, here is a tease!

Hey Bro Z1:

Congratualtions on bringing all that planning, effort and work, and a few platelets too :), together in a great Z car build for the Texas Rally. You said you would be an event this year and hey it is here.

I know it is going to be a truly big event and the Z folks here, us Texans, JSC , are all well represented by you, the Z, and your brother too. Somewhere along that run, stop and give Dad a smile, because he is smiling for you guys too !

Then after that we will get down to some track days against the P car. They are on equal terms now so I will really get beat!

Heck, I havent logged into the Classic Z in so long it gave me a Welcome Back from the Porsche World Message ;).

Darn good work in a lot ways Stephen !

Thanks buddy.

I fixed the sticky transmission lever, all it needed was some lubrication on the linkage rod connecting the shift lever to the transmission.

I am still running way to lean for comfort though. I need a day off work and some jets to get her dialed in. But the idle is great and the cruise is fine. I thought I heard some pinging in 3rd and 4th gear at very low rpm with the engine bogged down, but I think that is more to do with the engine being under load at low rpm while running very lean. We will see. I placed an order for some new idle jets, and I have to wait to see what they will turn up. I am still just driving around the neighborhood testing out things while I am close to home.

Also they tore up all the roads leaving my neighborhood and they are a dusty, muddy mess, so you know I am not going to take the pristinely clean z on that and basically trash 2 months of work cleaning the engine with a drive down what is basically a gravel dirty road.

Yes I am a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my baby clean! :)

OH one more thing... I was able to play with the throttle a bit more and what can I say... but this.

DEAR GOD the torque and that light flywheel is just addictive!!!!!!!!! IT pulls so hard in every single gear!!!

Thanks buddy.

I fixed the sticky transmission lever, all it needed was some lubrication on the linkage rod connecting the shift lever to the transmission.

I am still running way to lean for comfort though. I need a day off work and some jets to get her dialed in. But the idle is great and the cruise is fine. I thought I heard some pinging in 3rd and 4th gear at very low rpm with the engine bogged down, but I think that is more to do with the engine being under load at low rpm while running very lean. We will see. I placed an order for some new idle jets, and I have to wait to see what they will turn up. I am still just driving around the neighborhood testing out things while I am close to home.

Also they tore up all the roads leaving my neighborhood and they are a dusty, muddy mess, so you know I am not going to take the pristinely clean z on that and basically trash 2 months of work cleaning the engine with a drive down what is basically a gravel dirty road.

Yes I am a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my baby clean! :)

OH one more thing... I was able to play with the throttle a bit more and what can I say... but this.

DEAR GOD the torque and that light flywheel is just addictive!!!!!!!!! IT pulls so hard in every single gear!!!

Good to hear that there is progress. Your carbs are calibrated for an otherwise stock 2.4 right now right?

I'm a littele bit behind, but it shouldn't be long now since I got the last piece of the puzzle today, the new double exhaust from Spirit Garage in Japan. My god it's a nice system, having mixed feelings about putting it under the car...should probably just put it in the living room and just sit and admire the craftsmanship...:)

Good to hear that there is progress. Your carbs are calibrated for an otherwise stock 2.4 right now right?

I'm a littele bit behind, but it shouldn't be long now since I got the last piece of the puzzle today, the new double exhaust from Spirit Garage in Japan. My god it's a nice system, having mixed feelings about putting it under the car...should probably just put it in the living room and just sit and admire the craftsmanship...:)

That is funny, but a little be true. I cannot imagine how much you paid for it plus shipping.

The build is coming along so awesome; I cannot wait to see the video of it running.

I attempted to install my Unilite distributer tonight, and had ZERO luck. I am not sure how it is possible to have absolutely NO luck installing something that only has 3 wires. A red one to the ballast, the brown one to a ground somewhere, and the green one to the negative on the coil. Easy peesy.

But NO luck starting at all, I mean zero anything, zip. I pulled the coil to dizzy plug wire and laid it against some metal and turned the engine over, and it did not spark one time. When I turned off the key though, it laid out a huge spark...

Wait, now that I type that, something just occurred to me. It would not spark from the coil as it needs the rotor to make a connection with the cap to arc. So the coil was charging up, but not sending the energy anywhere! DRAT. I should have pulled the wire to a spark plug and checked for spark.

I can try again another night I suppose...